TV Ratings: ABC's 'Dancing with the Stars' boogies past Monday competition
'How I Met Your Mother,' 'Castle' and 'Heroes' all suffer ratings drops
Fast National ratings for Monday, March 23, 2009.
With FOX and CBS both scattering repeats into their Monday programming, ABC had no trouble riding "Dancing with the Stars" to easy ratings victories.
ABC averaged a 4.2 rating in the key 18-49 demographic, beating the 3.4 rating for CBS and FOX's 3.0 rating. NBC was fourth with a 2.4 rating, followed by the 1.1 rating for The CW.
Overall, ABC averaged an estimated 16.7 million viewers in primetime to go with a 10.8 rating/17 share. CBS was well back in second with a 6.5/10, followed by FOX's 5.4/8 and the 4.0/6 for NBC. The CW's 1.5/2 trailed.
"Dancing with the Stars" delivered a 12.4/19 in the 8 p.m. hour for ABC. FOX was a distant second with a repeat of "House." A new "How I Met Your Mother" (4.5/7) and a repeat of "How I Met Your Mother" (4.2/6) were both perplexingly low for CBS. NBC's "Chuck" had a 3.7/6 for fourth (slightly up from its last Monday original), while series co-creator Josh Schwartz's other Monday show, The CW's "Gossip Girl," had a 1.5/2 for fifth.
In the 9 p.m. hour "Dancing with the Stars" improved to a 13.3/19. CBS moved into second with a 6.5/9 averaged by a "Two and a Half Men" repeat and a new "Rules of Engagement." FOX's "24" drooped slightly to a 6.1/9 with its weaker-than-usual leading. While critics raved about a comeback episode for "Heroes," viewers didn't notice, as the show slumped to a 4.0/6. The CW's "One Tree Hill" was fifth.
CBS moved into first in the 10 p.m. hour with an 8.6/15 for "CSI: Miami." After a stable second week, ABC's "Castle" fell to a 6.6/11, losing more than half of its lead-in and dropping at the half-hour. NBC's "Medium" was third.
All ratings information comes from preliminary Fast National Nielsen data, which includes live and same-day DVR viewing. All numbers are subject to change.
Stay up to date with the latest breaking news in the worlds of movies, TV and music by signing up for HitFix E-mail Alerts.
News From Our Partners
- The Telefile - Modern Family: Goodnight, Gracie. Hello, Series Highlight. The Telefile - Critics' Choice Television Awards 2013: Nominees Announced The Telefile - TV on DVD: Tuesday, May 21, 2013
- What to Watch Tonight: The Season Premiere of Rookie Blue and the Series Premieres of Save Me, Showville, and Does Someone Have to Go? Nashville Season Finale Review: Funerals, Proposals, Car Accidents, Oh My? What to Watch Tonight: The Season Finales of SVU, The Middle, Modern Family, Chicago Fire, Nashville, and Criminal Minds
- Total Recall: Bradley Cooper's Best Movies Parental Guidance: Epic and Beautiful Creatures Comic Book Movies You Can Watch Online
- Weekend Movies: 'The Hangover 3,' 'Fast & Furious 6,' & 'Epic' (VIDEO) 'Dazed and Confused' Sequel: Richard Linklater Says It May Shoot This Fall Morgan Freeman Falls Asleep During Interview for New Movie
- Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Eight: Blue Is The Warmest Color captures a relationship’s rawness and beauty Hear This: Pantera’s “Walk” is the cry of aggrieved, disaffected youth Watch This: Vanishing Point caters to car nuts and existentialists alike
- 'Rush' Trailer: The Risk of Death Turns People On Need for Speed Rivals Will Race onto Xbox One and PlayStation 4 Sonic: Lost World's Six New Characters are Teased
- Former Cast Member Bill Hader Reveals Justin Bieber Was Diva on 'SNL' Set Rihanna vs. Nicki Minaj: Which Diva Has the Best Booty? – Readers Poll Rita Ora Dyes Her Hair Bright Blue [Pics]
- WATCH: Jon Stewart Shuts Down Bill O'Reilly '900 Pound Man: The Race Against Time': Is It Too Late? Ashley Benson Is Not Dating All Of Her Friends