'Transformers: Dark of the Moon' arriving 2 days early
Wednesday opening gives Paramount bigger bang for their buck
Michael Bay's 3D opus features the return of Shia LaBeouf, Tyrese Gibson, Josh Duhamel and fan favorite Autobots Bumblebee and Optimus Prime. John Malkovich, Rosie Huntington-Whiteley and the evil Decepticon Shockwave are some of the new additions to the cast. After seemingly betraying the Transformers, Earth finds themselves under a massive attack and Chicago, in particular, becomes a war zone.
- Check out everything there is including photos, reviews, videos.
The first "Transformers" technically debuted late Monday evening, June 2. The first full day of release was July 3, a Tuesday before the July 4 holiday. 2009's "Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen" opened on a Wednesday, July 1, and grossed $402 million domestically, approximately $80 million more than the original. By moving "Dark of the Moon" to Wednesday, Paramount can five the 17 days in theaters before facing stiff competition from "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Pt. 2" on July 15.
One benefactor of this move could be Universal Picture's "Larry Crowe." That dramedy will now have July 1 pretty much to itself as a new release with "Monte Carlo" giving neither "Crowe" or "Dark of the Moon." much competition.
For more on "Transformers: Dark of the Moon," check out HitFix's report from the James Cameron and Michael Bay presentation Wednesday evening.
News From Our Partners
- FX's 'The Strain' Taps 'Alias' Mia Maestro as Female Lead FX's 'Tyrant': Ang Lee Drops out of Directing the Pilot, Cites 'Life of Pi' Exhaustion NBC's 'Siberia': New Reality-Skewing Drama Ordered for Summer
- Ultra Music Festival Dates Announced, Tickets Go on Sale May 21 Girls' Generation's Jessica Poses With Purses in Vogue Girl [Pics] Austin Mahone vs. Jonas Brothers – Pop Clash
- The Telefile - Veep: The Episode's Best Insults The Telefile - Saturday Night Live: Straight Outta 8H The Telefile - Game of Thrones: Our Weekly Westeros Scorecard
- 'Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters': Jeremy Renner Never Read the Script Before Signing On 'Angry Birds' Movie Flies Forward Jennifer Lawrence as Mystique: First Look at the Actress in 'X-Men: Days of Future Past'
- Ranking the Blockbusters with Summer Movie Scorecard 2013 RT on DVD & Blu-Ray: The Last Stand and Side Effects Box Office Guru Wrapup: Star Trek Softer Than Expected at #1
- Hear This: With “Deceptacon,” Le Tigre captured the sound of youth in a song Watch This: Walter Hill’s The Driver is all about work done well Scenic Routes: A quiet scene from The Matrix demonstrates how to make exposition compelling
- What to Watch Tonight: The Season Finales of Rectify and Hawaii Five-0 and the Series Premieres of The Goodwin Games and Motive Mad Men "The Crash" Review: Uppers Give You Wings! News Briefs: CBS Is Pulling Mike & Molly's Season Finale Due to a Tornado Storyline
- William Bradley: Mad Men: 'Chevy Is Spelled Wrong!' PHOTOS: The Bluth Banana Stand Is Here! WATCH: Elisabeth Moss Was Nervous About Peggy's Future