Tom Cruise's fourth 'Mission: Impossible' set for Dec. 16, 2011
Will 'The Incredibles'" Brad Bird direct?
Paramount Pictures has set a Dec. 16, 2011 release date for "Mission: Impossible 4." Tom Cruise will make an unexpected return as Ethan Hunt in the J.J. Abrams produced sequel, but the "Star Trek" director won't helm the latest "mission." Instead, reports continue to circulate that animation maestro Brad Bird ("The Incredibles," "Ratatouille") will make his feature directing debut on the event flick.
"Mission: Impossible 4" will be going up against the third "Alvin and the Chipmunks" feature on the weekend of the 16th. The only other picture current slated for release in that timeframe is Steven Spielberg and Peter Jackson's "The Adventures of Tintin: The Secret of the Unicorn" on Dec. 23. Both tentpoles are being distributed by Paramount so even if "Tintin" is just for kids, it may be too close for comfort for both releases (let alone egos) and "Unicorn" could adjust its release date.
Abrams' upcoming Sci-Fi thriller "Super 8" was also confirmed today for a Summer 2011 release. The "don't call it a prequel to 'Cloverfield'" project will fit in to Abrams' shooting schedule before "Star Trek 2."
Cruise's next release is the action comedy "Knight and Day" on June 25.
News From Our Partners
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Does Someone Have to Go?: Work Sucks.... If You Are On This Show The Telefile - Save Me: Lightning Strikes NBC
- Mega Man X Trailer: The Blue Bomber Busts His Way to Wii U Next Week The Wrap Up: Charlie Sheen Gets a New Name For 'Machete Kills' New 'Man of Steel' TV Spot: "Why Did You Send Me Here?"
- What to Watch This Weekend: Orphan Black, Behind the Candelabra, and Arrested Development's Netflix Debut Do These Four New Arrested Development Clips Get You Excited for the Show's Return? (VIDEO) Arrested Development Q&A: Alia Shawkat on Maeby, the Return of the Show, and the Canonization of Mitch Hurwitz
- Baz Luhrmann Passed on Directing 'Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone' Someone Just Paid $1.5 Million to Sit Next to Leonardo DiCaprio in Space Tim Curry Is Fine After Suffering a Massive Stroke: Report
- Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Ten: The big wrap-up, including Jim Jarmusch's fantastic vampire film Hear This: “Second Best” reflects a pivotal moment all serious bands face Watch This: The wages and the fear remain high in William Friedkin’s Sorcerer
- Weekly Ketchup: Fox and Marvel Both Courting Quicksilver for Comic Blockbusters Critics Consensus: Fast & Furious 6 is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Photos with Vin Diesel, Michelle Rodriguez, Gina Carano and More
- Babble.com: 8 Parenting Lessons To Learn From 'Arrested Development' WATCH: New 'Arrested' Clip You Probably Haven't Seen What Is Up With Rob Lowe's Face? The Actor On His Crazy 'Candelabra' Role
- Demi Lovato Is Thrilled That Her Voice Is Finally Being Heard on Radio [Video] One Direction's Niall Horan Spends the Night With UK TV Star Louise Thompson Kelly Clarkson Denies 'American Idol' Judging Gig