'The Middleman' lives again at Comic-Con
Stars and fans of the quickly cancelled ABC Family series gathered in San Diego
For many, the day "The Middleman" was canceled was a dark, dark day. I'm one of the many went through Middle-Withdrawal, so when I saw this Thursday (July 23) Comic-Con table read for the episode titled "The Doomsday Armageddon Apocalypse," I think I may have squeed.
A loud round of applause from a packed room greeted creator and narrator for today Javier Grillo-Marxuach, cast members Matt Keeslar, Natalie Morales, Mary Pat Gleason Brit Morgan, Jake Smollett, Brendan Hines (wearing an awesome TRON cycle shit), Mark Sheppard (aka TV's Samuel L. Jackson), and writers Sarah Watson, Margaret Dunlap, and Andy Reeser, who did some acting of their own.
The episode kicks off with intro scenes setting up two important bits of info: Tyler (Hines) is telling Wendy (Morales) about a mysterious U-Master upgrade from Fatboy Industries, owned by Manservant Neville (Sheppard), while Lacey (Morgan) laments that despite dating Perfect Warren, her heart's just not in it.
The dialogue is quick and as funny as we've come to expect but it somehow wasn't real until The Middleman (Keeslar) exclaimed, "Sweet Crispy Wontons!" The crowd absolutely erupted.
This episode, the 13th, answered many questions a lot of questions including the (Clarence Colton - "Drink it in," says Javi after the reveal), the identity of Middleman's lost love (her name is Ravina Rao and she was his Middleman), and whether The Middleman and Lacey ended up together (yes...and no).
But truly the best part was seeing the cast have fun with the audience and re-discovering the stuff that made you love the show in the first place. Here's a brief list of highlights:
*** After the intro section, Javi played the theme over the mic and the cast yelled "Middleman!" on cue.
*** A huge roar from the crowed when Noser (Smollett) first spoke - a man of few words but the holder of many hearts.
*** What does MM look like when he's in civilian clothes? Like Christopher Reeve in "Superman II."
*** It was chock-full of "Star Wars" nods (Fatboy-headed Stormtroopers, Emperor-like lightning, Wendy in a slave girl outfit) and others including "Doctor Who" and the Jack Kirby-like Doomsday machine.
*** When Dubby drops an F-bomb, the cast "beeps" over it.
*** Ida opening a keg of robotic whup-ass.
When the reading was all over, they got a much deserved standing ovation. I have to say, I got a bit choked up. If you haven't seen the show, buy the DVD. You won't be sorry, I promise. Hell, buy three. Maybe we can get a feature film out of it. And if you want to see the whole Doomsday Armageddon Apocalypse, it's available in graphic novel form a at comic, regular, or online bookstore near you.
News From Our Partners
- Amazon Picks Up John Goodman's 'Alpha House,' Computer Comedy 'Betas' 'Rapturepalooza' Trailer: Anna Kendrick Gets Seduced by Satan 'Doctor Who' Season 8: Matt Smith Confirmed to Stay Another Year?
- What to Watch This Weekend: The Season Finales of Nikita, Doctor Who, The Simpsons, and Family Guy The Office Series Finale Review: That'll Do, Show. That'll Do. Syfy Renews Warehouse 13 for a Fifth and Final Season
- Pop Bytes: Michael Jackson's Nephew Negates Wade Robson's Molestation Claims + More Watch Macklemore, Kendrick Lamar, Ellie Goulding + More on Hangout Festival Livestream Dumb Celebrity Quotes – Who Said This?
- Behind The Shocking 'Grey's Anatomy' Finale WATCH: Tobias Fünke's New Sizzle Reel Is Epic JLo Steals Spotlight On 'American Idol'
- Weekly Ketchup: Will Smith to Star in Wild Bunch Remake? Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Roundup: Star Trek Into Darkness Edition
- Hear This: Destroy This Place shows how press releases can get it right Watch This: With Beavis And Butt-head Do America, Mike Judge skewered the idiocy of cinematic adventures Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Two: Iranian director Asghar Farhadi chases A Separation with another stunning drama
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When
- Beyonce Pregnant Again? Sources Confirm 'Epic' Star Is Carrying Baby No. 2 'Hangover 3' Red Band Trailer: Take a Walk Down a NSFW Memory Lane (VIDEO) Why 'Man of Steel' Didn't Use 'Superman' in the Title