The Lincoln Memorial gets a makeover in new 'Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter' poster
Our 16th president isn't playing around anymore
- Critic's Rating C
- Readers' Rating n/a
Honest Abe doesn't look like a person you'd particularly want to mess with in the new poster for "Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter", the forthcoming period monster film starring Benjamin Walker, Dominic Coooper, Mary Elizabeth Winstead, Anthony Mackie and Rufus Sewell that's based on the bestselling book by Seth Grahame-Smith (the author who also wrote "Pride and Prejudice and Zombies", a mash-up novel whose own film adaptation is currently stuck in development hell).
The one-sheet essentially follows the simplistic M.O. of the first two posters (which were released awhile back and one of which I've embedded below for comparison purposes), and while its "reimagining" of the famed Lincoln Memorial is clever enough I guess, it pales somewhat next to its far-moodier and more evocative predecessors.
That said, all three posters actually highlight a larger problem with the film's ad campaign thus far: Fox's too-narrow focus on marketing the film's one-joke premise. Particularly for people who aren't familiar with the book, doing so could actually deter them from seeing the movie. Indeed, it's hard to shake the feeling that the concept (a.k.a. the title of the movie itself) essentially makes it sound like a $70 million "SNL" skit stretched out to feature length.
Going forward the studio may want to take a more imaginative overall marketing approach that doesn't rest so completely on the easy-sell central idea. It'll be interesting to see if they change course with the as-yet-unreleased trailer, but in my opinion the posters (particularly this new one) just feel lazy.
My grade for the second poster: C. Check it out below and then rate it for yourself at top left!
One of the two original (very similar) posters:
"Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter" is scheduled for release on June 22nd.
Trending Now on HitFix Boards
|Topic||Started By||Latest Post||Replies|
9 days ago
28 days ago
|Discuss In Theaters and Coming Soon on HitFix Message Boards »|
News From Our Partners
- Hulu.com: Is The Office the Definitive TV Show of the '00s? Craziest 'Simpsons' Couch Gag Yet? Denied By PBS?
- What to Watch Tonight: The Office's Big Farewell and the Season Finales of TVD, Elementary, and Five More The CW's 2013-2014 Schedule: Supernatural Switches Nights Again, The Vampire Diaries Pairs With Reign Watch the Trailers for The CW's New Series, Including The 100, Star-Crossed, and Reign (VIDEO)
- Total Recall: Star Trek Movies Parental Guidance: Star Trek Into Darkness In Pictures: The Stars of Star Trek Into Darkness
- The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When The Telefile - TNT & TBS Upfront 2013: Reaping What Other Networks Sowed
- 'Star Trek Into Darkness': The Reviews Are In! Emma Watson In 'The Bling Ring': The Early Reviews Are In! 'Star Trek' And Klingon: Learn The Language Of The Aliens!
- State of Decay, TMNT Release Dates Leaked by Gamestop Watch 'The Hangover 3′ Stars Zach Galifianakis and Ken Jeong Perform Stand-Up Together in 1998 'Pacific Rim' Trailer: When Man and Machine Become One
- Weekend Movies: 'Star Trek Into Darkness,' 'Black Rock,' and More Bruce Willis Set for 'Expiration': Actor Will Play Hitman in Next Movie Emma Watson Says She is in No Rush 'To Be Seen as a Woman'
- One Direction Announce Where We Are Stadium Tour for 2014 Miley Cyrus Wants Everyone to Know She's Still Engaged by Posting This New Pic Most Anticipated Album Release for June 2013 – Readers Poll