'The Last Airbender' now kicking its way into 3-D
Director M. Night Shyamalan gets his conversion wish
Hollywood's obsession with the goldmine that has marked 3-D releases over the past six months continued today with news that Paramount Pictures would convert M. Night Shyamalan's "The Last Airbender" in time for its July 2 release.
Word is that Shyamalan has been pushing for "Airbender" to be converted to 3-D for sometime and has been testing the effect on his footage for months. After recent tests convinced Paramount's brass to move forward with a change which should add $5-10 million to the film's budget.
"Airbender" is also taking advantage of only one other major 3-D movie being scheduled to be in the marketplace when it opens, "Toy Story 3." However, the following week Universal's "Despicable Me" debuts in 3-D and there are rumors Chris Nolan's "Inception," scheduled for July 16, could also make the 2-D to 3-D conversion. If it doesn't, the next major enhanced release would be Warner Bros. "Cats & Dogs: The Revenge of Kitty Galore" on July 30.
Paramount may also be hoping 3-D makes "Airbender" more palatable to families looking to take their kids to something other than "Toy Story" again. The adaptation of the Nickelodeon animated series will already face stiff competition from "Grown Ups," "Knight & Day" and "The Twilight Saga: Eclipse" over the Fourth of July weekend and had to deal with the buzzworthy "Predators" on July 5. Can all these movies be hits? "Airbender" clearly doesn't want to take a chance it's the odd warrior out.
Other films scheduled for 3-D conversion include "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Pt. 1," "Priest" and the recently announced "The Green Hornet."
News From Our Partners
- What to Watch Tonight: The Season Premiere of Rookie Blue and the Series Premieres of Save Me, Showville, and Does Someone Have to Go? Nashville Season Finale Review: Funerals, Proposals, Car Accidents, Oh My? What to Watch Tonight: The Season Finales of SVU, The Middle, Modern Family, Chicago Fire, Nashville, and Criminal Minds
- Total Recall: Bradley Cooper's Best Movies Parental Guidance: Epic and Beautiful Creatures Comic Book Movies You Can Watch Online
- WATCH: Jon Stewart Shuts Down Bill O'Reilly '900 Pound Man: The Race Against Time': Is It Too Late? Ashley Benson Is Not Dating All Of Her Friends
- 'Rush' Trailer: The Risk of Death Turns People On Need for Speed Rivals Will Race onto Xbox One and PlayStation 4 Sonic: Lost World's Six New Characters are Teased
- 'Hangover III': The Reviews Are In! Jennifer Aniston Breaks Bad, Strips Down In 'We're The Millers' Trailer 'Star Wars' Fans Still Love To Hate Ewoks 30 Years Later
- Former Cast Member Bill Hader Reveals Justin Bieber Was Diva on 'SNL' Set Rihanna vs. Nicki Minaj: Which Diva Has the Best Booty? – Readers Poll Rita Ora Dyes Her Hair Bright Blue [Pics]
- The Telefile - Modern Family: Goodnight, Gracie. Hello, Series Highlight. The Telefile - Critics' Choice Television Awards 2013: Nominees Announced The Telefile - TV on DVD: Tuesday, May 21, 2013
- Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Eight: Blue Is The Warmest Color captures a relationship’s rawness and beauty Hear This: Pantera’s “Walk” is the cry of aggrieved, disaffected youth Watch This: Vanishing Point caters to car nuts and existentialists alike