'The Help' star and 2012 Oscar nominee Viola Davis bags roles in 'Ender's Game' and 'Beautiful Creatures'
SAG Award winner will bring gravity to two forthcoming fantasy-driven films
With a SAG Award for Best Actress under her belt going into the Oscars, "The Help" star Viola Davis has to be feeling pretty good these days - not only on account of the big nomination, but for the doors it's opened for her career-wise. In a demonstration of that newfound industry cachet, the actress has just been cast in two separate projects - "Ender's Game", the Orson Scott Card sci-fi adaptation starring Asa Butterfield ("Hugo"), Hailee Steinfeld ("True Grit"), Abigail Breslin, Harrison Ford and Ben Kingsley; and "Beautiful Creatures", which is not a remake of the Rachel Weisz film but rather an adaptation of the 2010 young adult novel by Margaret Stohl and Kami Garcia.
Viola Davis talks Steven Soderbergh, Tyler Perry, Meryl Streep and humanizing her characters
'The Help' star receives Santa Barbara's Outstanding Performer of the Year award
As for "Ender's Game", the project has been ramping up for several months now, with "X-Men Origins: Wolverine" helmer Gavin Hood signing on to write and direct the film back in April and two rising young actors (Butterfield and Steinfeld) being cast to star in the leading roles. Based on Card's 1985 sci-fi novel, the film centers on a young genius (Butterfield) who is sent to an advanced military institute in space to train with other gifted children in preparation for an alien invasion. Davis will play a military psychologist who looks after the emotional well-being of the children while devising war games to test their skills.
In "Beautiful Creatures", meanwhile, Davis will co-star as Amma, a clairvoyant woman who looks after a young boy named Ethan following the death of his mother. The film is a supernatural thriller about two teenage lovers, Lena and Ethan, who begin to uncover dark truths about their Southern town - and how their own families fit into its gloomy history. Richard LaGravanese ("Freedom Writers", "P.S. I Love You") wrote the adaptation and will direct, with Alcon Entertainment financing and producing. Alcon also holds the rights to the other two existing books in the series, "Beautiful Darkness" and "Beautiful Chaos", and are eyeing it as a potential franchise. The production company will distribute the films though Warner Bros. via an existing deal.
Variety, which broke the "Ender's Game" news, reports that Davis will shoot that film first, followed by "Beautiful Creatures" later in the year.
While it's good that Davis is getting roles, to be sure, it's interesting to note that these are both supporting parts. Hopefully there will be more leading turns in the talented actress' future.
Let us know what you think in the comments!
Trending Now on HitFix Boards
|Topic||Started By||Latest Post||Replies|
2 months ago
3 months ago
|Discuss Movies General on HitFix Message Boards »|
News From Our Partners
- 'Star Trek Into Darkness': The Reviews Are In! Emma Watson In 'The Bling Ring': The Early Reviews Are In! 'Star Trek' And Klingon: Learn The Language Of The Aliens!
- State of Decay, TMNT Release Dates Leaked by Gamestop Watch 'The Hangover 3′ Stars Zach Galifianakis and Ken Jeong Perform Stand-Up Together in 1998 'Pacific Rim' Trailer: When Man and Machine Become One
- Weekend Movies: 'Star Trek Into Darkness,' 'Black Rock,' and More Bruce Willis Set for 'Expiration': Actor Will Play Hitman in Next Movie Emma Watson Says She is in No Rush 'To Be Seen as a Woman'
- Hulu.com: Is The Office the Definitive TV Show of the '00s? Craziest 'Simpsons' Couch Gag Yet? Denied By PBS?
- The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When The Telefile - TNT & TBS Upfront 2013: Reaping What Other Networks Sowed
- Total Recall: Star Trek Movies Parental Guidance: Star Trek Into Darkness In Pictures: The Stars of Star Trek Into Darkness
- Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day One: Sofia Coppola offers the first misfire of the festival Hear This: A song with a long title succinctly encapsulates ’90s power-pop Watch This: Laura Palmer lives—however briefly—in Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me
- One Direction Announce Where We Are Stadium Tour for 2014 Miley Cyrus Wants Everyone to Know She's Still Engaged by Posting This New Pic Most Anticipated Album Release for June 2013 – Readers Poll