The Black Eyed Peas are ready for their Super Bowl halftime close up
Usher and Slash expected to join BEP Sunday
DALLAS (AP) — Even the Black Eyed Peas are protecting their Super Bowl playbook.
"We're not allowed to give away the set list, but it will be packed with energy — what the Black Eyed Peas bring," said band member Fergie at a news conference Thursday.
The band said they are excited and honored to give the halftime performance during Sunday's game between the Pittsburgh Steelers and the Green Bay Packers
"We want everybody to have a good time and just dance, party," will.i.am said about the performance that's expected to include R&B star Usher and former Guns 'N Roses guitarist Slash.
A person familiar with the plans for Sunday's halftime show told The Associated Press that both musicians were slated to make surprise appearances. The person spoke to the AP on condition of anonymity Wednesday, because the musicians' performances were not going to be announced.
"Hopefully we will bring the heat because it's cold as hell here in Dallas," said Black Eyed Peas band member Taboo.
The band spoke at a news conference in downtown Dallas on the third consecutive day of subfreezing temperatures during a rare cold spell that greeted the first Super Bowl week in North Texas.
Taboo said the opportunity to provide entertainment for the NFL's ultimate game is "a dream come true for us as football lovers."
Fellow band member, Fergie, said it was a "huge honor" to be picked as halftime performer.
"Sunday football is a serious day in our homes," said Fergie, who is a minority owner of the Miami Dolphins. "Super Bowl Sunday is the day that I can go all out — cheat — eat the seven-layer dip, all the Italian food and scream at everybody."
The six-time Grammy award-winning Black Eyed Peas have sold more than 28 million albums worldwide and are known for songs such as "Boom Boom Pow," ''I Gotta Feeling" and "Imma Be."
"Some people write songs for radio. Some people write songs for clubs. We like to write songs for life," will.i.am said, adding that he is proud that many of their energetic songs are featured at sporting events.
At the news conference, band member apl.de.ap showed off his nod to his band playing at the Super Bowl: He had the band's initials — BEP — and XLV — for the 45th Super Bowl — shaved into the back of his head.
The band also will bring some technology to the show as will.i.am will be tweeting during the performance.
Keith Urban and Maroon 5 will be performing during the pre-game festivities on Sunday. Christina Aguilera is set to sing the national anthem and Lea Michele of "Glee" will sing "America the Beautiful."
Copyright 2011 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.
News From Our Partners
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When
- The 'Doctors' Unite 'We Are Men' In 4 Words MTV Legend Recalls Heavy Metal Frontman's Anti-Gay T-Shirt Controversy
- Beyonce Pregnant Again? Sources Confirm 'Epic' Star Is Carrying Baby No. 2 'Hangover 3' Red Band Trailer: Take a Walk Down a NSFW Memory Lane (VIDEO) Why 'Man of Steel' Didn't Use 'Superman' in the Title
- Weekly Ketchup: Will Smith to Star in Wild Bunch Remake? Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Roundup: Star Trek Into Darkness Edition
- What to Watch This Weekend: The Season Finales of Nikita, Doctor Who, The Simpsons, and Family Guy The Office Series Finale Review: That'll Do, Show. That'll Do. Syfy Renews Warehouse 13 for a Fifth and Final Season
- The Wrap Up: Remember 'The Office' With the Ultimate Blooper Reel The Sims 3: Island Paradise's Producer Walkthrough Shows Us the Finer Points of Tropical Life 'Man of Steel' Featurette: Reinventing Superman
- Kendall Schmidt of Big Time Rush Loses $7,000 Worth of Gifts for Fans [Video] Kanye West to Drop New Album 'Yeezus' on June 18 Justin Bieber + Selena Gomez Will Sit Together at 2013 Billboard Music Awards
- Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Three: Cheers for the young stars of The Selfish Giant, jeers for the new films by Hirokazu Kore-eda and Arnaud Desplechin Hear This: Destroy This Place shows how press releases can get it right Watch This: With Beavis And Butt-head Do America, Mike Judge skewered the idiocy of cinematic adventures