Taylor Swift won't be playing Eponine in 'Les Miserables' after all
Stage actress Samantha Barks will be taking on the coveted role instead
Though it was previously reported that country-pop superstar Taylor Swift had been offered the role of Eponine in Tom Hooper's upcoming adaptation of the "Les Miserables" stage musical, it turns out the singer won't be playing the part after all.
"Most incredible moment of my life!!!! X", Barks tweeted following the announcement, which took place following a performance of the musical "Oliver!" (in which the actress is playing Nancy) at the UK's Manchester Palace. She was apparently unaware that she'd won the role until it was announced on-stage by producer Cameron Mackintosh.
Barks came up through the BBC reality series "I'd Do Anything", which saw several young actresses competing for the role of Nancy in a West End revival of the musical "Oliver!" Though she eventually came in third, she went on to win roles in a UK touring production of "Cabaret" playing Sally Bowles and as Eponine in "Les Miserables", a role she reprised for the musical's 25th anniversary concert at London's 02 Arena in October 2010. She was cast in the "Oliver!" role she'd originally been vying for just last month.
Slated for release on December 7, 2012, "Les Miserables" stars Hugh Jackman as Jean Valjean, Russell Crowe as Javert, Anne Hathaway as Fantine, Sacha Baron Cohen as Thernardier, Helena Bonham Carter as Madame Thenardier, Amanda Seyfried as Cosette, Eddie Redmayne as Marius and Aaron Tveit as Enjolras. It's being directed by Tom Hooper ("The King's Speech").
What do you think of this news? Are you disappointed that Swift is no longer involved, or do you think the film will be better off without her? Sound off below!
Trending Now on HitFix Boards
|Topic||Started By||Latest Post||Replies|
2 months ago
3 months ago
|Discuss Movies General on HitFix Message Boards »|
News From Our Partners
- Tolerability Index: This week we're barely putting up with The Killing TV Roundtable: When My Boys tested its prickly chemistry by inviting some new faces to the poker table The Walkthrough: The New Girl showrunners on topping season two’s big kiss (Part 5 of 5)
- In Pictures: The Stars of Star Trek Into Darkness Digital Multiplex: The Last Stand, Side Effects, and More RT on DVD & Blu-Ray: Ambitious, Time-Jumping Epic Cloud Atlas
- 'Riddick' Trailer: Vin Diesel Is What Goes Bump in the Night 'The Simpsons' Taps Kristen Wiig For Guest Arc As FBI Agent CBS Fall 2013 Schedule: 'Mike & Molly' to 2014, More Comedy Thursday, and 'Hawaii' to Friday
- Hulu.com: 7 Things That Wouldn't Exist Without The Office Larry Womack: In Defense of (the Original) James T. Kirk 'Storage Wars': Ivy Finds Giant Clam Shell
- Demi Moore & Ashton Kutcher in $10M Tug of War 'Captain America: The Winter Soldier': Chris Evans, Scarlett Johansson, Anthony Mackie Spotted in D.C. (VIDEO) Katie Holmes Attracts the Wrong Kind of Attention on 'Mania Days' Set
- Best Alicia Keys Instagram Photos – Picture Perfect Taylor Swift Fan Arrested for Swimming Near Her Rhode Island Beach House Taylor Swift vs. Pink vs. Rihanna vs. Beyonce: Whose Tour Costume Do You Like Best? – Readers Poll
- 'Star Trek' Baddie Benedict Cumberbatch Reveals Role's Biggest Challenge Cannes Film Festival 2013: Our Must-See Movies 'Star Trek Into Darkness': The Secret Behind The Sounds
- What to Watch Tonight: The Season Finales of Arrow, CSI, and Supernatural Grimm "The Waking Dead" Review: Dead On Arrival CBS's 2013-2014 Season: New Nights for Person of Interest and Hawaii Five-0, More Comedy on Thursdays