Taylor Swift wins big as Beyonce is honored at the 2011 Billboard Awards
Rihanna takes home two big awards
LAS VEGAS - Rihanna and Taylor Swift were two of the key winners at the Billboard Music Awards, which returned after a five-year hiatus with a major dose of star power, featuring Beyonce, U2, the Black Eyed Peas — even First Lady Michelle Obama.
Like many other awards shows, the three-hour Billboard Awards served more as a promotional vehicle for today's top pop stars than a trophy presentation. The show was packed with performances — a piano-levitating Cee Lo Green, a scantily clad Rihanna on "S&M" joined by Britney Spears, a much-bleeped Lil Wayne with Mary J. Blige, and Neil Diamond leading the audience in a sing-a-long to "Sweet Caroline" and "America."
Among Rihanna's wins were for radio artist of the year and top female artist.
Swift won the evening's first award, as top album artist, behind the multimillion sales for "Speak Now." She also won top country artist.
"The impact of an album is all determined by the fans," she told the audience when she picked up her first. "You've just given me another reason to be completely in love with you."
Other award winners included Justin Bieber, Lady Antbellum and the Black Eyed Peas.
Beyonce received a special "Millennium" Award for her career achievements: The 29-year-old phenomenon was lauded in a video by an array of legends and luminaries, including Stevie Wonder, Barbara Streisand, Bono, Lady Gaga and Michelle Obama.
"This is a moment I have to soak in because it's gonna be — and it is — one of the best moments of my life," said Beyonce after getting the award from her mother, Tina Knowles. Beyonce also performed her new song, "Run the World (Girls)."
U2 was also honored for their blockbuster "360" tour as the top touring act of 2010, while Diamond received Billboard' "Icon" award.
"I would have settled for a top 10 record," he quipped. "I don't know what it means exactly to be an icon. I've always wanted to be one and I guess now I am."
This year marks the Billboard Awards' rebirth. The Billboard Awards had been a staple since 1989, but gave out what appeared to be its last award in 2006. This year, the show was brought back.
It was held in Las Vegas, broadcast live on ABC and hosted by "The Hangover 2'" star Ken Jeong.
The Billboard Music Awards are given out to music's most popular artists. The finalists and winners are determined by their rank on the Billboard charts and their "social and streaming activity."Copyright 2011 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.
News From Our Partners
- Hulu.com: 7 Things That Wouldn't Exist Without The Office Larry Womack: In Defense of (the Original) James T. Kirk 'Storage Wars': Ivy Finds Giant Clam Shell
- 'Riddick' Trailer: Vin Diesel Is What Goes Bump in the Night 'The Simpsons' Taps Kristen Wiig For Guest Arc As FBI Agent CBS Fall 2013 Schedule: 'Mike & Molly' to 2014, More Comedy Thursday, and 'Hawaii' to Friday
- 'Star Trek' Baddie Benedict Cumberbatch Reveals Role's Biggest Challenge Cannes Film Festival 2013: Our Must-See Movies 'Star Trek Into Darkness': The Secret Behind The Sounds
- Demi Moore & Ashton Kutcher in $10M Tug of War 'Captain America: The Winter Soldier': Chris Evans, Scarlett Johansson, Anthony Mackie Spotted in D.C. (VIDEO) Katie Holmes Attracts the Wrong Kind of Attention on 'Mania Days' Set
- Best Alicia Keys Instagram Photos – Picture Perfect Taylor Swift Fan Arrested for Swimming Near Her Rhode Island Beach House Taylor Swift vs. Pink vs. Rihanna vs. Beyonce: Whose Tour Costume Do You Like Best? – Readers Poll
- In Pictures: The Stars of Star Trek Into Darkness Digital Multiplex: The Last Stand, Side Effects, and More RT on DVD & Blu-Ray: Ambitious, Time-Jumping Epic Cloud Atlas
- The Telefile - TNT & TBS Upfront 2013: Reaping What Other Networks Sowed The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When The Telefile - New Girl: Wedding Do's and Don'ts
- Tolerability Index: This week we're barely putting up with The Killing TV Roundtable: When My Boys tested its prickly chemistry by inviting some new faces to the poker table The Walkthrough: The New Girl showrunners on topping season two’s big kiss (Part 5 of 5)