T.I. sets 'Trouble Man' release date... and wants out of the rap game
Listen to 'Like That'
T.I. is a troubled man indeed.
The rapper is preparing his long-awaited next album "Trouble Man," though admittedly isn't keen on staying in the hip-hop biz.
In an interview with Power 105's Breakfast Club, Tip told his hosts "Where the game is going to and what it has evolved into from a personality standpoint, it goes against who I am as a person. So I want out. I'm [still] in it because I love music and because I have obligations contractually."
T.I. -- real name Clifford Joseph Harris, Jr. -- said it's a problem of rappers' true identities. It's not so much that artists talk game that has no actions to back it up, but that hip-hop audiences seemingly no longer need the bark to match bite.
"There was at one time when this game was about speaking to the people who feel like you feel. Now, the people that I'm speaking to, they don't necessarily feel like I feel," he said. "In my day, if you were rapping about something you really wasn't living, that was a strike against you and you were held accountable," he continued. "Nowadays, nobody even expects you to live up to the things that you rap about... I can speak from a place of understanding and experience. These other people, they're imagining things."
"This is what everyone fails to realize: I want out."
"Trouble Man" is officially due now on Sept. 4; he has one track, "Love This Life," currently on the charts. T.I. released another new single, "Like That," this week (below).
What do you think? Does it sound like it comes from a place of experience?
Trending Now on HitFix Boards
|Topic||Started By||Latest Post||Replies|
3 months ago
6 months ago
|Discuss Music General on HitFix Message Boards »|
News From Our Partners
- 'Mad Men' Review: "The Crash" 'Game of Thrones' Review: "Second Sons" 'Star Wars Episode 7′ — Jonathan Rhys Meyers to Join the Cast?
- What to Watch Tonight: The Season Finales of Rectify and Hawaii Five-0 and the Series Premieres of The Goodwin Games and Motive Hey TV.com, Should I Watch The Goodwin Games? FTW vs. WTF: The TV Week in Review (May 19)
- Box Office: 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Misses $100M Domestic Mark on Opening Weekend Beyonce Pregnant Again? Sources Confirm 'Epic' Star Is Carrying Baby No. 2 'Hangover 3' Red Band Trailer: Take a Walk Down a NSFW Memory Lane (VIDEO)
- WATCH: SNL Spoofs San Francisco's Bacon Bacon Controversy Mike Hogan: The Wedding From Hell WATCH: 'SNL' Takes On IRS Scandal
- 'Anchorman 2' Trailer Had Us At 'Hello': Watch Now! Fiery 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Scene Hurt The Most: Ouch! How Far Will 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Boldly Go At Box Office?
- Nicki Minaj Gives Lil Wayne a Lap Dance During 'High School' at 2013 Billboard Music Awards [Video] David Guetta, Akon + Ne-Yo 'Play Hard' at 2013 Billboard Music Awards [Video] Prince Closes 2013 Billboard Music Awards With Rare Performance Medley
- Inventory: “Illusion, Michael. A trick is something a whore does for money”: 20 inept magicians in pop culture For Our Consideration: The crowd-funding conundrum: The line between bringing fans closer and taking advantage Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Four: The Coen brothers return to the festival with a folk-rock flashback
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When