Surprise: Screenwriter hire means 'Tron Legacy' sequel in the works
Will Disney really move forward on a third installment?
The signs for a third installment of "Tron" haven't been good up until now.
Walt Disney Studios, the company who controls the franchise, seemed initially disappointed by both the critical and box office reception to "Tron: Legacy" after its Dec. 17 debut. The film, which had been hyped and marketed to different extremes over a two year period, opened to just $44 million before playing out to a $172 million domestic cume. At the same time, the animated "Tangled" became a surprise holiday blockbuster and Disney brass seemingly ignored the chance to move momentum on a "Legacy" sequel forward. Moreover, the studio dropped out of producing "Legacy" director Joseph Kosinski's next project, "Oblivion" after initially making it a high priority. The studio also became deathly silent on Kosinski's other franchise follow up, "The Black Hole." Perhaps a few months of perspective has changed Disney CEO Bob Iger and President Rich Ross' minds.
The studio is being cautious, but has made a significant move of hiring screenwriter Dan DiGilio to helm a sequel to "Legacy." According to The Hollywood Reporter, "Legacy" scribes Adam Horowitz and Adam Kitsis are too busy with their ABC fall series "Once Upon a Time" to commit to another installment. The trade also clarified Kosiniski's role in the third film is very unclear.
DiGilio is best known on the big screen for his Disney family flick "Eight Below." On the television front he created the TV series "Traveler" which was intriguing, but didn't last long. He's also currently working with former DreamWorks Studios co-head Walter Parkes on the thriller "Dameon."
Are you excited about the possibility of another "Tron"? Share your thoughts below.
News From Our Partners
- The Future Of Olivia And Fitz, And More Season 3 Scoop SPOILER ALERT: What's Ahead In 'Nikita' Season 4? Google Glass Does Porn
- Pop Bytes: Michael Jackson's Nephew Negates Wade Robson's Molestation Claims + More Watch Macklemore, Kendrick Lamar, Ellie Goulding + More on Hangout Festival Livestream Dumb Celebrity Quotes – Who Said This?
- How Far Will 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Boldly Go At Box Office? 'Star Trek Into Darkness': The Secret Behind The Mystery Villain 'Pacific Rim' Trailer Surfaces: Watch Now!
- Weekly Ketchup: Will Smith to Star in Wild Bunch Remake? Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Roundup: Star Trek Into Darkness Edition
- Beyonce Pregnant Again? Sources Confirm 'Epic' Star Is Carrying Baby No. 2 'Hangover 3' Red Band Trailer: Take a Walk Down a NSFW Memory Lane (VIDEO) Why 'Man of Steel' Didn't Use 'Superman' in the Title
- What to Watch This Weekend: The Season Finales of Nikita, Doctor Who, The Simpsons, and Family Guy The Office Series Finale Review: That'll Do, Show. That'll Do. Syfy Renews Warehouse 13 for a Fifth and Final Season
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When
- 'Da Vinci's Demons' Review: "The Devil" 'Assassin's Creed' Movie Slated For Memorial Day 2015 Amazon Picks Up John Goodman's 'Alpha House,' Computer Comedy 'Betas'