Surprise: 'Jumping the Broom' overperforms on Mother's Day
Comedy debuts to $15.2 million
For the second week in a row, a top theatrical release has overperformed to Sunday weekend estimates. Last weekend, "Fast Five" ended up with $2.5 million more than originally estimated for a stellar $86.1 million debut. Now, Sony Pictures' "Jumping the Broom" has ended up with $1.5 million more than expected with a fine $15.2 million opening.
Targeted at primarily African-American audiences, "Broom" had an extremely rare Saturday to Sunday jump grossing 13.3% more on Mother's Day. Sony Pictures worked with Bishop T.D. Jakes, a producer on the film, and his Potter's Church to spread word to Christian audiences and their efforts appeared to have paid off. The comedy reportedly cost under $7 million and should be a nice profit maker for all involved.
It's worth noting last year Focus Features released the documentary "Babies" on Mother's Day Weekend and it also experienced a Saturday to Sunday jump.
"Broom" wasn't the only major release to beat its Sunday estimate. "Something Borrowed" found $800,000 more on Sunday for a somewhat disappointing $13.8 million opening. On the other hand, "Thor's" actual gross was $65.7 million compared to a $66 million estimate. "Fast Five" was on target with approximately $32.5 million.
Among other box office milestones, "Insidious" and "Source Code" both reached $50 million domestic and "Rango" crossed the $120 million mark.
This weekend's new releases include "Priest" and "Bridesmaids" which are both currently polling at $15 million over the three-day.
News From Our Partners
- Weekly Ketchup: Will Smith to Star in Wild Bunch Remake? Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Roundup: Star Trek Into Darkness Edition
- Fiery 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Scene Hurt The Most: Ouch! How Far Will 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Boldly Go At Box Office? 'Star Trek Into Darkness': The Secret Behind The Mystery Villain
- The Wrap Up: Remember 'The Office' With the Ultimate Blooper Reel The Sims 3: Island Paradise's Producer Walkthrough Shows Us the Finer Points of Tropical Life 'Man of Steel' Featurette: Reinventing Superman
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When
- Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Three: Cheers for the young stars of The Selfish Giant, jeers for the new films by Hirokazu Kore-eda and Arnaud Desplechin Hear This: Destroy This Place shows how press releases can get it right Watch This: With Beavis And Butt-head Do America, Mike Judge skewered the idiocy of cinematic adventures
- Beyonce Pregnant Again? Sources Confirm 'Epic' Star Is Carrying Baby No. 2 'Hangover 3' Red Band Trailer: Take a Walk Down a NSFW Memory Lane (VIDEO) Why 'Man of Steel' Didn't Use 'Superman' in the Title
- The 'Doctors' Unite 'We Are Men' In 4 Words MTV Legend Recalls Heavy Metal Frontman's Anti-Gay T-Shirt Controversy
- Kendall Schmidt of Big Time Rush Loses $7,000 Worth of Gifts for Fans [Video] Kanye West to Drop New Album 'Yeezus' on June 18 Justin Bieber + Selena Gomez Will Sit Together at 2013 Billboard Music Awards