Surprise: 'Babies' has a $1 million Mother's Day
Focus doc over performs on Sunday by $500,000
Focus Features' strategy of releasing its adorably precocious documentary "Babies" on Mother's Day weekend has paid off.
Original box office estimates had "Babies" taking in only $1.5 million in 534 theaters. Certainly a good haul for a documentary these days and against competition such as "Iron Man 2." However, when the actuals came in this morning, Focus discovered "Babies" had made over $1 million on Sunday alone for a new weekend gross of $2.1 million and a $4,040 per screen average. Traditionally, Sunday is the slowest day of the moviegoing weekend so this is quite an achievement for the indie release.
Speaking to IndieWIRE, Focus' Jack Foley said, "“This is a profound measure confirming the strategy we took worked. It was so clear how much this was on people’s radar and became part of their Mother’s Day agenda to see this film. And it really came out of nowhere, without any real big brand.”
Much of the film's success can be traced to its trailer which often received a strong reaction from moviegoers in the theater. Whether "Babies" can translate into a larger phenomenon remains to be seen, but its certainly looking like a profitable venture for Focus so far.
News From Our Partners
- Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Eight: Blue Is The Warmest Color captures a relationship’s rawness and beauty Hear This: Pantera’s “Walk” is the cry of aggrieved, disaffected youth Watch This: Vanishing Point caters to car nuts and existentialists alike
- 'Sons of Anarchy' Season 6 Adds 'The Shield's CCH Pounder As… David Boreanaz, Minka Kelly, Tom Felton and More Go 'Full Circle' for DirecTV Syfy's 'Helix': David Slade Directing 'Battlestar Galactica' Creator Ron Moore's New Series
- The Telefile - Save Me: Lightning Strikes NBC The Telefile - Modern Family: Goodnight, Gracie. Hello, Series Highlight. The Telefile - Critics' Choice Television Awards 2013: Nominees Announced
- 'Hangover III': The Reviews Are In! Jennifer Aniston Breaks Bad, Strips Down In 'We're The Millers' Trailer 'Star Wars' Fans Still Love To Hate Ewoks 30 Years Later
- Is There Hope For Jaime & Brienne Shippers? PHOTOS: Inside Lucille Austero's New Apartment WATCH: Full-Length Trailers For 'The Millers,' 'Hostages' And 'Mom'
- Critics Consensus: Fast & Furious 6 is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Photos with Vin Diesel, Michelle Rodriguez, Gina Carano and More Video: The Hangover Part III Cast Interviews
- The Saturdays Are Sexy Housewives Seeking a 'Gentleman' in New Video Enter for a Chance to See Emblem3 Live on 'Good Morning America!' Bruno Mars Rumored for 'American Idol' Judge Spot
- Quicksilver in 'X-Men: Days of Future Past': Evan Peters Cast as Magneto's Son 'Poltergeist' Reboot May Actually Be a Sequel Brad Pitt Shocks Fans at 'World War Z' Screening (VIDEO)