Surprise: 'Babies' has a $1 million Mother's Day
Focus doc over performs on Sunday by $500,000
Focus Features' strategy of releasing its adorably precocious documentary "Babies" on Mother's Day weekend has paid off.
Original box office estimates had "Babies" taking in only $1.5 million in 534 theaters. Certainly a good haul for a documentary these days and against competition such as "Iron Man 2." However, when the actuals came in this morning, Focus discovered "Babies" had made over $1 million on Sunday alone for a new weekend gross of $2.1 million and a $4,040 per screen average. Traditionally, Sunday is the slowest day of the moviegoing weekend so this is quite an achievement for the indie release.
Speaking to IndieWIRE, Focus' Jack Foley said, "“This is a profound measure confirming the strategy we took worked. It was so clear how much this was on people’s radar and became part of their Mother’s Day agenda to see this film. And it really came out of nowhere, without any real big brand.”
Much of the film's success can be traced to its trailer which often received a strong reaction from moviegoers in the theater. Whether "Babies" can translate into a larger phenomenon remains to be seen, but its certainly looking like a profitable venture for Focus so far.
News From Our Partners
- 'Pacific Rim' Trailer Surfaces: Watch Now! 'Star Trek Into Darkness': The Reviews Are In! Emma Watson In 'The Bling Ring': The Early Reviews Are In!
- What to Watch Tonight: The Office's Big Farewell and the Season Finales of TVD, Elementary, and Five More Supernatural Season 8 Finale Review: It's Raining Angels Watch an Extended Trailer for CBS's Under the Dome (VIDEO)
- The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When The Telefile - TNT & TBS Upfront 2013: Reaping What Other Networks Sowed
- Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Roundup: Star Trek Into Darkness Edition Video Interviews with Katie Aselton & Lake Bell of Black Rock
- Ilana Rapp: Actor Richard Harmon From Bates Motel and Continuum Talks about SpongeBob Squarepants and Yoga 'The Last Classic TV Comedy'? 'Biggest Loser' Host: 'I've Never Seen Jillian Eat A Cupcake'
- Listen to Selena Gomez's 'Come & Get It' Remixes Katy Perry vs. Rita Ora vs. Beyonce vs. Kesha vs. Demi Lovato – Who Wore It Best? Chris Brown Launches New 'Channel' Website, Gets More Personal Than Ever
- 'Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon II': The Oscar-Winning Movie is Getting a Sequel 'The Bling Ring' Cannes Premiere: Emma Watson Steals the Show (PHOTOS) Why Brad Bird Turned Down 'Star Wars: Episode VII'; Talks 'Incredibles' Sequel
- Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day One: Sofia Coppola offers the first misfire of the festival Hear This: A song with a long title succinctly encapsulates ’90s power-pop Watch This: Laura Palmer lives—however briefly—in Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me