Surprise: 'Babies' has a $1 million Mother's Day
Focus doc over performs on Sunday by $500,000
Focus Features' strategy of releasing its adorably precocious documentary "Babies" on Mother's Day weekend has paid off.
Original box office estimates had "Babies" taking in only $1.5 million in 534 theaters. Certainly a good haul for a documentary these days and against competition such as "Iron Man 2." However, when the actuals came in this morning, Focus discovered "Babies" had made over $1 million on Sunday alone for a new weekend gross of $2.1 million and a $4,040 per screen average. Traditionally, Sunday is the slowest day of the moviegoing weekend so this is quite an achievement for the indie release.
Speaking to IndieWIRE, Focus' Jack Foley said, "“This is a profound measure confirming the strategy we took worked. It was so clear how much this was on people’s radar and became part of their Mother’s Day agenda to see this film. And it really came out of nowhere, without any real big brand.”
Much of the film's success can be traced to its trailer which often received a strong reaction from moviegoers in the theater. Whether "Babies" can translate into a larger phenomenon remains to be seen, but its certainly looking like a profitable venture for Focus so far.
News From Our Partners
- 'Da Vinci's Demons' Review: "The Devil" 'Assassin's Creed' Movie Slated For Memorial Day 2015 Amazon Picks Up John Goodman's 'Alpha House,' Computer Comedy 'Betas'
- Hear This: Destroy This Place shows how press releases can get it right Watch This: With Beavis And Butt-head Do America, Mike Judge skewered the idiocy of cinematic adventures Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Two: Iranian director Asghar Farhadi chases A Separation with another stunning drama
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When
- Pop Bytes: Michael Jackson's Nephew Negates Wade Robson's Molestation Claims + More Watch Macklemore, Kendrick Lamar, Ellie Goulding + More on Hangout Festival Livestream Dumb Celebrity Quotes – Who Said This?
- How Far Will 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Boldly Go At Box Office? 'Star Trek Into Darkness': The Secret Behind The Mystery Villain 'Pacific Rim' Trailer Surfaces: Watch Now!
- Weekly Ketchup: Will Smith to Star in Wild Bunch Remake? Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Roundup: Star Trek Into Darkness Edition
- What to Watch This Weekend: The Season Finales of Nikita, Doctor Who, The Simpsons, and Family Guy The Office Series Finale Review: That'll Do, Show. That'll Do. Syfy Renews Warehouse 13 for a Fifth and Final Season
- The Future Of Olivia And Fitz, And More Season 3 Scoop SPOILER ALERT: What's Ahead In 'Nikita' Season 4? Google Glass Does Porn