Sundance: Indie thrillers 'Black Rock' starring Kate Bosworth and 'The Words' starring Bradley Cooper secure distribution
Both films acquired in seven-figure deals
A pair of pickups occurred at the Sundance Film Festival today, with "The Words" starring Bradley Cooper, Zoe Saldana and Jeremy Irons, and "Black Rock" starring Kate Bosworth, Lake Bell and Katie Aselton acquired by CBS Films and LD Distribution, respectively.
Co-written and directed by Brian Klugman and Lee Sternthal in their helming debut, "The Words" stars Cooper as a struggling writer who hits the big time after discovering an unpublished manuscript and passing it off as his own. The actual author of the book (Jeremy Irons) subsequently shows up to take his revenge. CBS paid a low-seven-figure sum for the film, according to a source close to the negotiations. The distributor is shooting for a Q3 or Q4 release later this year.
"The Words" was a product of the Sundance Screenwriter's Lab and ranked on a previous edition of the Black List, an annual rundown of the best unproduced screenplays circulating in Hollywood.
"We feel very fortunate to be working with CBS Films given their level of commitment and enthusiasm for the theatrical release of the film in the Fall season," said producer Tatiana Kelly. The pickup occurred prior to the movie's world premiere, which is scheduled for Friday, January 27th.
Also acquired in the low seven figures today was "Black Rock", a thriller starring Kate Bosworth, Lake Bell and Katie Aselton as a trio of young women who go on a camping trip together in the Maine wilderness and are ultimately forced to fight for their survival after making one wrong move. It's described as being akin to a female version of "Deliverance", with a little "Thelma and Louise" mixed in for good measure.
Deadline reports that several other distributors including Lionsgate, Magnolia and IFC also went after the film, which premiered last night in a midnight screening. "Black Rock" was directed by Aselton based on a script written by her husband Mark Duplass, the actor/writer/director ("Cyrus", "The Puffy Chair") who co-stars with her in FX's "The League".
What do you think of the pickups? Do either of these films sound like something you'd be interested in seeing?
Trending Now on HitFix Boards
|Topic||Started By||Latest Post||Replies|
over 1 year ago
over 1 year ago
|Discuss Film Festivals on HitFix Message Boards »|
News From Our Partners
- 'Doctor Who' Season 8 Confirmed, Steven Moffat to Return The Wrap Up: Behind-the-Scenes Image from 'Godzilla' Shows a Train in Peril Batman: Arkham Origins Will See the Return of Kevin Conroy
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When
- Box Office: 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Misses $100M Domestic Mark on Opening Weekend Beyonce Pregnant Again? Sources Confirm 'Epic' Star Is Carrying Baby No. 2 'Hangover 3' Red Band Trailer: Take a Walk Down a NSFW Memory Lane (VIDEO)
- 'Anchorman 2' Trailer Had Us At 'Hello': Watch Now! Fiery 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Scene Hurt The Most: Ouch! How Far Will 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Boldly Go At Box Office?
- A Final 'Office' Farewell Stefon Marries Anderson Cooper In Final Show Creed Bratton: Closing Creed Thoughts
- Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Four: The Coen brothers return to the festival with a folk-rock flashback Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Three: Cheers for the young stars of The Selfish Giant, jeers for the new films by Hirokazu Kore-eda and Arnaud Desplechin Watch This: With Beavis And Butt-head Do America, Mike Judge skewered the idiocy of cinematic adventures
- FTW vs. WTF: The TV Week in Review (May 19) Doctor Who "The Name of the Doctor" Review: The Impossible Girl Made Possible What to Watch This Weekend: The Season Finales of Nikita, Doctor Who, The Simpsons, and Family Guy
- Carly Rae Jepsen's 'Call Me Maybe' Captures Top Digital Song Honor at 2013 Billboard Music Awards Macklemore + Ryan Lewis Win Best Rap Song for 'Thrift Shop' at 2013 Billboard Music Awards 2013 Billboard Music Awards Gets a Tour From Taylor Swift's '22′ Performance [Video]