'Star Trek' opening night beams up $7 million
Thursday screenings get J.J. Abrams' reboot off to a strong start
Paramount's reboot of the "Star Trek" franchise is off to a promising start, grossing an estimated $7 million as of Friday (May 8) morning.
The J.J. Abrams-direct "Star Trek" opened its run on Thursday night with 7 p.m. screenings at most of its 3,800 venues, according to Variety.
The opening night for "Star Trek" outgrossed last week's $5 million for 20th Century Fox's "Wolverine," though that total was garnered off of midnight-and-later screenings. It also put "Star Trek" ahead of last May's "Iron Man," which did $4 million for its Thursday evening/midnight screenings.
Nobody in the industry expects "Star Trek" to get anywhere near the $102.1 million opening weekend for "Iron Man," also a Paramount release, but early critical reaction is shockingly positive. "Star Trek" currently stands at 96% Fresh on RottenTomatoes.com.
Come back to HitFix for updates on the "Star Trek" box office throughout the weekend.
Stay up to date with the latest breaking news in the worlds of movies, TV and music by signing up for HitFix E-mail Alerts.
News From Our Partners
- 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Takes Box-Office Crown With $84 Million 'Arrested Development' Gang: Where Are They Now? 'Star Trek Into Darkness': What's Next For J.J. Abrams And The Cast?
- Joe Satran: Who's Winning The 'Game Of Thrones'? Andrew Jenks: Where Guns Are as Common as Cell Phones Renee Graziano: Look Before You Love
- What to Watch Tonight: The Season Finales of Rectify and Hawaii Five-0 and the Series Premieres of The Goodwin Games and Motive Mad Men "The Crash" Review: Uppers Give You Wings! News Briefs: CBS Is Pulling Mike & Molly's Season Finale Due to a Tornado Storyline
- Ranking the Blockbusters with Summer Movie Scorecard 2013 RT on DVD & Blu-Ray: The Last Stand and Side Effects Box Office Guru Wrapup: Star Trek Softer Than Expected at #1
- Ultra Music Festival Dates Announced, Tickets Go on Sale May 21 Girls' Generation's Jessica Poses With Purses in Vogue Girl [Pics] Austin Mahone vs. Jonas Brothers – Pop Clash
- The Telefile - Veep: The Episode's Best Insults The Telefile - Saturday Night Live: Straight Outta 8H The Telefile - Game of Thrones: Our Weekly Westeros Scorecard
- Hear This: With “Deceptacon,” Le Tigre captured the sound of youth in a song Watch This: Walter Hill’s The Driver is all about work done well Scenic Routes: A quiet scene from The Matrix demonstrates how to make exposition compelling
- 'Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters': Jeremy Renner Never Read the Script Before Signing On 'Angry Birds' Movie Flies Forward Jennifer Lawrence as Mystique: First Look at the Actress in 'X-Men: Days of Future Past'