Star's illness pushes NBC's 'Parenthood' to midseason
The medical dramedy 'Mercy' will premiere in the fall due to Maura Tierney's health
"Parenthood," based on the 1989 Ron Howard film (already developed once previously for the small screen), was expected to begin production on July 27 and NBC had set a September 23 premiere date for the 8 p.m. drama.
"Start of production on NBC Universal's new series 'Parenthood' has been postponed for eight weeks due to medical evaluation that valued cast member Maura Tierney is undergoing," NBC said in a statement to The Hollywood Reporter. "The top priority for NBC, Universal Media Studios and Imagine Television is the well-being of Ms. Tierney. We are unable to release further details and ask that you respect her privacy at this time."
"Parenthood" is now tentatively scheduled to resume production in September, though obviously that's subject to change.
In addition to long-time NBC veteran Tierney ("NewsRadio," "E.R."), "Parenthood" stars Peter Krause, Tierney, Erika Christensen, Dax Shepard, Bonnie Bedelia and Craig T. Nelson.
The medical dramedy "Mercy," expected to take over the "Parenthood" time slot at midseason, is expected to be bumped up for a fall launch, though it's unclear if NBC will simply move it into the Wednesday 8 p.m. hour or make additional changes.
"Mercy" is the latest in a new wave of nurse-centric medical shows. Its stars include Taylor Schilling, Michelle Trachtenberg, Jaime Lee Kirchner, James Tupper, James LeGros and Delroy Lindo.
News From Our Partners
- The Telefile - Veep: The Episode's Best Insults The Telefile - Saturday Night Live: Straight Outta 8H The Telefile - Game of Thrones: Our Weekly Westeros Scorecard
- 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Takes Box-Office Crown With $84 Million 'Arrested Development' Gang: Where Are They Now? 'Star Trek Into Darkness': What's Next For J.J. Abrams And The Cast?
- 'Bates Motel' Season 2: Will Norman Go Full 'Psycho?' FX's 'The Strain' Taps 'Alias' Star Mia Maestro as Female Lead FX's 'Tyrant': Ang Lee Drops out of Directing the Pilot, Cites 'Life of Pi' Exhaustion
- Heather Wagner: 'Hot In Orange County' John Barrowman's Surprising New Role WATCH: How A Frog Transformed Kerry Washington's Thinking
- Ranking the Blockbusters with Summer Movie Scorecard 2013 RT on DVD & Blu-Ray: The Last Stand and Side Effects Box Office Guru Wrapup: Star Trek Softer Than Expected at #1
- Crosstalk: How does Chris Brown get away with it? For Our Consideration: What do we mean when we call music pretentious? Interview: Michael Cera on the evolution of George Michael Bluth and working in Arrested Development’s writers’ room
- What to Watch Tonight: SYTYCD, Awkward., and the Finales of Grimm, The Game, and DWTS What to Watch Tonight: The Season Finales of Rectify and Hawaii Five-0 and the Series Premieres of The Goodwin Games and Motive Mad Men "The Crash" Review: Uppers Give You Wings!
- 'Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters': Jeremy Renner Never Read the Script Before Signing On 'Angry Birds' Movie Flies Forward Jennifer Lawrence as Mystique: First Look at the Actress in 'X-Men: Days of Future Past'