Sony Pictures Classics acquires Woody Allen rom-com 'Nero Fiddled' starring Alec Baldwin and Penelope Cruz
Specialty division also distributed this year's Best Picture contender 'Midnight in Paris'
It's no wonder Sony Pictures Classics is so eager to get back in bed with Woody Allen for his next film "Nero Fiddled" - which the specialty division has just acquired - as "Midnight in Paris", their most recent venture with the writer/director, has so far grossed over $140 million worldwide (more than $56 million of that from the domestic market).
Indeed, "Paris" is the highest-grossing film in Allen's oeuvre thus far (though several of his earlier commercially-successful efforts, including "Hannah and Her Sisters" and "Manhattan", would top it if grosses were adjusted for inflation), and with the film now a quadruple-Golden Globe nominee as well as a likely Best Picture contender at next year's Oscars, the 76-year-old filmmaker's career is hotter than its been in years (well, at least since "Match Point", anyway).
2012 Golden Globe Nominees: Winners and Losers
An entire network, a possible Oscar fave and Muppets get the shaft
"Nero", which also features Allen's first acting role since 2006's "Scoop" starring Scarlett Johansson, is a vignette (or portmanteau) romantic-comedy film set in Rome. Along with Allen, the cast includes Alec Baldwin, Penelope Cruz, Jesse Eisenberg, Ellen Page, Judy Davis (playing Allen's wife), Greta Gerwig and Roberto Benigni. It's expected to be released sometime in the summer of 2012.
Did you enjoy "Midnight in Paris"? Does "Nero Fiddled" sound like something you'd like to see? Let us know in the comments!
News From Our Partners
- Best Alicia Keys Instagram Photos – Picture Perfect Taylor Swift Fan Arrested for Swimming Near Her Rhode Island Beach House Taylor Swift vs. Pink vs. Rihanna vs. Beyonce: Whose Tour Costume Do You Like Best? – Readers Poll
- The Telefile - TNT & TBS Upfront 2013: Reaping What Other Networks Sowed The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When The Telefile - New Girl: Wedding Do's and Don'ts
- In Pictures: The Stars of Star Trek Into Darkness Digital Multiplex: The Last Stand, Side Effects, and More RT on DVD & Blu-Ray: Ambitious, Time-Jumping Epic Cloud Atlas
- 'Star Trek' Baddie Benedict Cumberbatch Reveals Role's Biggest Challenge Cannes Film Festival 2013: Our Must-See Movies 'Star Trek Into Darkness': The Secret Behind The Sounds
- Demi Moore & Ashton Kutcher in $10M Tug of War 'Captain America: The Winter Soldier': Chris Evans, Scarlett Johansson, Anthony Mackie Spotted in D.C. (VIDEO) Katie Holmes Attracts the Wrong Kind of Attention on 'Mania Days' Set
- Hulu.com: 7 Things That Wouldn't Exist Without The Office Larry Womack: In Defense of (the Original) James T. Kirk 'Storage Wars': Ivy Finds Giant Clam Shell
- Tolerability Index: This week we're barely putting up with The Killing TV Roundtable: When My Boys tested its prickly chemistry by inviting some new faces to the poker table The Walkthrough: The New Girl showrunners on topping season two’s big kiss (Part 5 of 5)
- What to Watch Tonight: The Season Finales of Arrow, CSI, and Supernatural Grimm "The Waking Dead" Review: Dead On Arrival CBS's 2013-2014 Season: New Nights for Person of Interest and Hawaii Five-0, More Comedy on Thursdays