'Social Network' wins best picture as 'Inception' dominates the 2011 Critic's Choice Awards
Colin Firth wins best actor and Natalie Portman best actress
LOS ANGELES (AP) — "The Social Network" keeps making friends, winning the Critics' Choice award for best picture and three other prizes.
But "Inception" led all films Friday night with six awards total, all in technical categories.
Best actor went to Colin Firth for his portrayal of King George VI, who overcame a stammer with the help of an unconventional speech therapist, in "The King's Speech," while Natalie Portman won best actress for playing a ballerina who descends into madness in "Black Swan."
"The Social Network," which chronicles the origin of Facebook, also won for David Fincher's direction, Aaron Sorkin's adapted screenplay and the score from Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross.
The boxing drama "The Fighter" won in three categories: supporting actor Christian Bale, supporting actress Melissa Leo and best ensemble.
But from a numerical standpoint, "Inception" was the big winner of the night. Christopher Nolan's psychological dream thriller won for cinematography, art direction, editing, visual effects, sound and best action movie.
The Critics' Choice Movie Awards, bestowed by the Broadcast Film Critics Association, were given out at the Hollywood Palladium.
Among the other winners, "Toy Story 3" was named best animated film, "Waiting for 'Superman'" took the documentary prize, "Easy A" won best comedy and "The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo" was the foreign-language winner. Hailee Steinfeld won the best young actor or actress award for her film debut in the Coen brothers' version of "True Grit."
The front-runner this awards season, "The Social Network" has won top honors from several critics groups, including those in New York and Los Angeles and the National Society of Film Critics. It's up for six Golden Globe Awards Sunday night, while "The King's Speech" leads with seven nominations. Both are competing for best drama.
A complete list of all the winners:
"The Social Network"
Colin Firth - “The King’s Speech”
Natalie Portman - “Black Swan”
Best Supporting Actor
Christian Bale - “The Fighter”
Best Supporting Actress
Melissa Leo - “The Fighter”
Best Young Actor or Actress
Hailee Steinfeld - “True Grit”
Best Acting Ensemble
David Fincher, "The Social Network"
Best Original Screenplay
"The King’s Speech"
Best Adapted Screenplay
"The Social Network"
Best Animated Feature
"Toy Story 3"
Best Action Movie
Best Picture Made for Television
Best Foreign Language Film
"The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo"
Best Documentary Feature
"Waiting for 'Superman'"
“If I Rise” - performed by Dido and A.R. Rahman/music by A.R. Rahman/lyrics by Dido Armstrong and Rollo Armstrong - "127 Hours"
“The Social Network” - Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross
Best Art Direction
Best Costume Design
"Alice in Wonderland"
"Alice in Wonderland"
Best Visual Effects
News From Our Partners
- State of Decay, TMNT Release Dates Leaked by Gamestop Watch 'The Hangover 3′ Stars Zach Galifianakis and Ken Jeong Perform Stand-Up Together in 1998 'Pacific Rim' Trailer: When Man and Machine Become One
- Weekend Movies: 'Star Trek Into Darkness,' 'Black Rock,' and More Bruce Willis Set for 'Expiration': Actor Will Play Hitman in Next Movie Emma Watson Says She is in No Rush 'To Be Seen as a Woman'
- Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day One: Sofia Coppola offers the first misfire of the festival Hear This: A song with a long title succinctly encapsulates ’90s power-pop Watch This: Laura Palmer lives—however briefly—in Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me
- Total Recall: Star Trek Movies Parental Guidance: Star Trek Into Darkness In Pictures: The Stars of Star Trek Into Darkness
- The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When The Telefile - TNT & TBS Upfront 2013: Reaping What Other Networks Sowed
- Hulu.com: Is The Office the Definitive TV Show of the '00s? Craziest 'Simpsons' Couch Gag Yet? Denied By PBS?
- What to Watch Tonight: The Office's Big Farewell and the Season Finales of TVD, Elementary, and Five More The CW's 2013-2014 Schedule: Supernatural Switches Nights Again, The Vampire Diaries Pairs With Reign Watch the Trailers for The CW's New Series, Including The 100, Star-Crossed, and Reign (VIDEO)
- One Direction Announce Where We Are Stadium Tour for 2014 Miley Cyrus Wants Everyone to Know She's Still Engaged by Posting This New Pic Most Anticipated Album Release for June 2013 – Readers Poll