'SNL's' Seth Meyers will host the increasingly irrelevant ESPY Awards
18th Annual offering will be televised July 14
There is an increasingly small pool of potential and qualified award show hosts these days, but ESPN hopes they've found a new diamond in "Saturday Night Live's" Seth Meyers. The sports network announced today it has recruited Meyers to host the 18th Annual ESPY Awards which will broadcast live on ESPN from the Nokia Theater in Los Angeles on July 14 at 9 PM ET.
Meyers has been a fixture on "SNL" since 2001, but has been the institution's head writer since 2006. That's also the year he began anchoring "Weekend Update" to mostly positive reviews. The ESPY's will be one of his biggest non-"SNL" related gigs yet.
The ESPYs honor athlete's and teams with awards such as Best Male Athlete, Best Comeback Athlete, Best Game and individual statues for a slew of sports including baseball, basketball, football, golf and even mixed martial arts. Whether winning an ESPY means anything besides a free trip to sunny LA to the nominees is unclear. Previous hosts of the shindig have included Samuel L. Jackson (four times), Justin Timberlake, Jimmy Kimmel, LeBron James, Matthew Perry, Jamie Foxx, Norm Macdonald, Tony Danza, John Goodman, Jimmy Smits, Dennis Miller and Lance Armstrong.
In a statement released by the network, Meyers, a hardcore Red Sox fan joked, "If you asked anyone I played sports with as a kid they would tell you 'the only way Seth was making it to the ESPYs was as a host or presenter.'"
Meyers will have two-hours to prove he's got what it takes to make it to the big leagues. Could the MTV Movie Awards be next? Dare to dream.
News From Our Partners
- Total Recall: Bradley Cooper's Best Movies Parental Guidance: Epic and Beautiful Creatures Comic Book Movies You Can Watch Online
- Justin Bieber's 'Baby' Is Highest-Certified Single in History, But His Monkey Is No Longer His Son Ho Young's Girlfriend Found Dead Listen to The-Dream Collaborate With Beyonce on 'Turnt'
- The Telefile - Critics' Choice Television Awards 2013: Nominees Announced The Telefile - TV on DVD: Tuesday, May 21, 2013 The Telefile - Veep: The Episode's Best Insults
- What to Watch Tonight: The Season Finales of SVU, The Middle, Modern Family, Chicago Fire, Nashville, and Criminal Minds The Critics Choice Awards Nominations Choose Game of Thrones, Breaking Bad The Weirdest, Grossest, Bestest Moments from Netflix's Hemlock Grove, in Pictures and GIFs
- Charlotte Robinson: Somer Bingham Talks LGBT Issues and Life After The Real L Word (AUDIO) PHOTOS: Has Ellen Had Enough Of LA? Jennifer Aniston On 'Friends' Reunion: 'We All Miss Working Together'
- 'The World's End' Trailer: Pints, Pals, and Killer Robots! Francis Ford Coppola Directing New Italian-American Saga 'Don Jon' Trailer: Joseph-Gordon Levitt and Scarlett Johansson Go Jersey
- 'Man Of Steel': Is Zod Superman's Khan? New 'Man of Steel' Trailer: Watch Now! 'The Hangover': Retracing The Success Of A Few Crazy Nights
- Hear This: You don’t have to know the words to have fun with this Stone Temple Pilots single Watch This: Ronin is a triumph of crime-flick economy Cannes Film Festival: Cannes, Day Seven: J.C. Chandor makes good, Nicolas Winding Refn goes bad, and Claire Denis gets ugly