UPDATED: Sigur Ros to release sixth studio album in May
Listen to the band's first single 'Ekki Múkk'
Prepare to be run over by Sigur Ros.
That's because the title of the group's sixth studio album will be titled "Valtari", which allegedly translates to "steamroller" in English. The Icelandic band revealed the title of the upcoming set in a recent interview with Q Magazine, in which they also described the sound of the album as "dreamy" and "introverted", among other adjectives.
Frontman Jonsi Birgisson, who recently scored the soundtrack for Cameron Crowe's "We Bought a Zoo" and also released a solo album in 2010, compares it to "an avalanche in slow motion." Bassist Georg Holm told the magazine there will be more electronic sounds than on prior albums, but not to worry: "We haven't made a dance record."
This will be the band's first album since 2008's "meo suo i eyrum vio spilum endalaust" ("With a Buzz in Our Ears We Play Endlessly"), which peaked at #15 on the Billboard 200.
As noted in the article, the new set will consist of at least seven tracks (though it's unclear whether there will be more than the ones listed), and it's slated for released on May 28 in the U.K. and on May 29 in the U.S.
UPDATED: Listen to Sigur Ros' exceedingly pleasant first single from the set, "Ekki Múkk."
"It's not like anything else we've ever done", said Holm. "You could say our past records have been uplifting, or depressing, but this I'd compare to looking at an old landscape painting."
Are you looking forward to new material from the band after such a long hiatus? Sound off in the comments!
Trending Now on HitFix Boards
|Topic||Started By||Latest Post||Replies|
3 months ago
6 months ago
|Discuss Music General on HitFix Message Boards »|
News From Our Partners
- Would You Rather… Hang Backstage with One Direction or the Jonas Brothers? Watch Kesha Perform 'Machine Gun Love' Live See Pictures of Your Favorite Celebrity Couples Now + Then
- Baz Luhrmann Passed on Directing 'Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone' Someone Just Paid $1.5 Million to Sit Next to Leonardo DiCaprio in Space Tim Curry Is Fine After Suffering a Massive Stroke: Report
- What to Watch This Weekend: Orphan Black, Behind the Candelabra, and Arrested Development's Netflix Debut Do These Four New Arrested Development Clips Get You Excited for the Show's Return? (VIDEO) Arrested Development Q&A: Alia Shawkat on Maeby, the Return of the Show, and the Canonization of Mitch Hurwitz
- Hear This: “Second Best” reflects a pivotal moment all serious bands face Watch This: The wages and the fear remain high in William Friedkin’s Sorcerer Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Nine: James Gray and Joaquin Phoenix reteam for a compelling period drama
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Does Someone Have to Go?: Work Sucks.... If You Are On This Show The Telefile - Save Me: Lightning Strikes NBC
- What To Watch This Memorial Day Weekend Is The New 'Bachelorette' Engaged? Tavis Smiley Marks 10th Year On PBS
- Weekly Ketchup: Fox and Marvel Both Courting Quicksilver for Comic Blockbusters Critics Consensus: Fast & Furious 6 is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Photos with Vin Diesel, Michelle Rodriguez, Gina Carano and More
- 'Fast & Furious 6': The Reviews Are In! 'Return Of The Jedi' Turns 30: Secrets Of Ewok Language Revealed! 'Fast & Furious 6' Expected To Lap 'Hangover III' At Box Office