'Shutter Island' scares away the competition with monster $14 million Friday
'Valentine's Day' and 'Wolfman' fall hard
Martin Scorsese and Leonardo DiCaprio are proving they are a profitable combination at the box office. After a massive $14 million opening on Friday, their latest collaboration, the long-delayed "Shutter Island," is on its way to an impressive $35-38 million opening this weekend. This follows two $100 million plus grossers in a row, "The Aviator" and "The Departed." While both of those films landed Best Picture nominations, distributor Paramount Pictures may just have to be satisfied with a tidy profit on on this one.
Falling hard like a bad romance to the second spot was Warner Bros.' "Valentine's Day." The ensemble rom com dropped 61% grossing only $5.6 million on Friday for a new total of $75.8 million. Considering it only cost $52 million to produce, Warner Bros. can more than live with the steep drop considering it should find an eventual $100 million gross and many profitable returns.
Last weekends family find "Percy Jackson and the Olympians: The Lightning Thief" came in third with $3.96 million and a new domestic cume of $43.4 million. However, it will most likely switch to fourth place when the weekend is over as "Avatar with right behind it with $3.9 million. The Oscar contender has been remarkable in reaching an all-time record U.S. gross of $675 million so far and only has two more weeks before "Alice in Wonderland" shows up to gobble up its 3-D and IMAX screens.
Last week's other big opener, "The Wolfman," fell 70% grossing only $2.9 million. The expensive event flick has now grossed $43.4 million to date and will have to hope for strong overseas numbers to even approach breaking even.
Look for complete box office weekend estimates tomorrow on HitFix.
News From Our Partners
- The Telefile - TV on DVD: Tuesday, May 21, 2013 The Telefile - Veep: The Episode's Best Insults The Telefile - Saturday Night Live: Straight Outta 8H
- HomeVideo Review: My Neighbor Totoro / Howl’s Moving Castle TV Club 10: What made The Middle one of the best family comedies in years For Our Consideration: Will indie-rock reunions become just part of the plan?
- In Pictures: The Cars of Fast & Furious Digital Multiplex: Warm Bodies and Aftershock Discover the Best-Reviewed Films in Summer Movie Scorecard 2013
- Seth MacFarlane's Next Film: 'Every Line Is Hilarious,' Amanda Seyfried Swears 'The Wolverine' Trailer: Five Questions It Answered 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Takes Box-Office Crown With $84 Million
- Is 'Jurassic Park 4' a Reboot? Yes, According to Sam Neill 'Return of the Jedi': 25 Things You Didn't Know About the Original 'Star Wars' Trilogy Finale Melissa McCarthy Fires a 'Tammy' Extra for Mistreating Her Child
- What to Watch Tonight: The Season Finales of SVU, The Middle, Modern Family, Chicago Fire, Nashville, and Criminal Minds What to Watch Tonight: SYTYCD, Awkward., and the Finales of Grimm, The Game, and DWTS 7 Lessons We Learned from the 2012-2013 TV Season
- 'Grimm' Season Finale Review: "Goodnight, Sweet Grimm" 'The Killing' Season 3′s Latest Trailer: The Beginning of a New Spree! 'Man of Steel' Trailer: Zod Will Make Us Suffer
- 'The Voice' Recap: Top 8 Revealed, Blake Shelton + Miranda Lambert Perform 'Over You' T-ara Member Hyomin Shows Off Her Sexy Side in Korean InStyle [Pics] Listen to David Guetta's Remix of Empire of the Sun's 'Alive