Showtime renews 'United States of Tara'
Toni Collette and company will return for 12 new episodes shooting this summer
On Tuesday (Feb. 10), Showtime announced that it has ordered a 12-episode second season to begin production this summer and premiere on the premium cable network in early 2010.
"United States of Tara," created by Oscar-winning scribe Diablo Cody ("Juno") from an idea by Steven Spielberg, stars Toni Collette as a wife and mother coping with dissociative identity disorder. The comedy premiered last month and reached 2.67 million subscribers in its first week.
"It has been pure pleasure working with Diablo Cody, Toni Collette, Steven Spielberg and everyone at Dreamworks on 'United State of Tara,'" says Showtime Entertainment President Robert Greenblatt. "This is a perfect fit for our premium brand and we're thrilled that critics and audiences have responded to this groundbreaking show so well. I look forward to many more alternate personalities emerging from this unique series."
Add executive producers Justin Falvey and Darryl Frank of DreamWorks Television, "We feel incredibly fortunate to have worked with Bob Greenblatt and his Showtime team on such a ground breaking project. From an original idea of Steven's to working with Diablo Cody, Craig Gillespie, Alexa Junge, Toni Collette and the amazing cast we feel very proud to be part of this show and look forward to continuing this great collaboration in season 2."
The first week of "Tara" outperformed the premiere weeks for current Showtime favorites "Weeds," "Californication," "Dexter" and "The Tudors."
Stay up to date with the latest breaking news in the worlds of movies, TV and music by signing up for HitFix E-mail Alerts.
News From Our Partners
- 'Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters': Jeremy Renner Never Read the Script Before Signing On 'Angry Birds' Movie Flies Forward Jennifer Lawrence as Mystique: First Look at the Actress in 'X-Men: Days of Future Past'
- Heather Wagner: 'Hot In Orange County' John Barrowman's Surprising New Role WATCH: How A Frog Transformed Kerry Washington's Thinking
- The Telefile - Veep: The Episode's Best Insults The Telefile - Saturday Night Live: Straight Outta 8H The Telefile - Game of Thrones: Our Weekly Westeros Scorecard
- Crosstalk: How does Chris Brown get away with it? For Our Consideration: What do we mean when we call music pretentious? Interview: Michael Cera on the evolution of George Michael Bluth and working in Arrested Development’s writers’ room
- Ranking the Blockbusters with Summer Movie Scorecard 2013 RT on DVD & Blu-Ray: The Last Stand and Side Effects Box Office Guru Wrapup: Star Trek Softer Than Expected at #1
- 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Takes Box-Office Crown With $84 Million 'Arrested Development' Gang: Where Are They Now? 'Star Trek Into Darkness': What's Next For J.J. Abrams And The Cast?
- 'Bates Motel' Season 2: Will Norman Go Full 'Psycho?' FX's 'The Strain' Taps 'Alias' Star Mia Maestro as Female Lead FX's 'Tyrant': Ang Lee Drops out of Directing the Pilot, Cites 'Life of Pi' Exhaustion
- 'The Voice' Live Round Recap: The Top 10 Perform Beyonce Is a 'Grown Woman' in Leaked Track Ultra Music Festival Dates Announced, Tickets Go on Sale May 21