Showtime orders final season of 'The Tudors'
Fourth season will follow Henry VIII's marriages to Catherine Howard and Catherine Parr
On Monday (April 13), Showtime ordered a 10-episode fourth season of the period drama, with new episodes set to premiere in 2010. The fourth season will focus on Henry VIII's relationship with wives Catherine Howard and Catherine Parr, as well as his descent into madness. That will bring the monarch's story to a close and will also bring the series to an end.
Jonathan Rhys Meyers will continue with his Golden Globe nominated turn as King Henry VIII (looking less and less believable as the increasingly portly king as time passes) and series creator Michael Hirst will continue to handle writing and executive producing duties. When "The Tudors" reaches its finale, the series will have aired 38 episodes, all written by Hirst.
"I'm thrilled to complete the saga of Henry VIII as reconceived by Michael Hirst," says Showtime Entertainment President Robert Greenblatt in a statement. "He and Jonathan Rhys Meyers have breathed new life into the costume drama by making it both modern in sensibility but also faithful to history. I think we proved that even after 500 years this is a great story."
The third season of "The Tudors" premiered on April 5 and Showtime's press release says the premiere "garnered record ratings," referring to the roughly 1.3 million people who watched the premiere between its first on-air showing and OnDemand.
"The Tudors" will return to production this June in Dublin, Ireland.
News From Our Partners
- 'Fast & Furious 6': The Reviews Are In! 'Return Of The Jedi' Turns 30: Secrets Of Ewok Language Revealed! 'Fast & Furious 6' Expected To Lap 'Hangover III' At Box Office
- Baz Luhrmann Passed on Directing 'Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone' Someone Just Paid $1.5 Million to Sit Next to Leonardo DiCaprio in Space Tim Curry Is Fine After Suffering a Massive Stroke: Report
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Does Someone Have to Go?: Work Sucks.... If You Are On This Show The Telefile - Save Me: Lightning Strikes NBC
- What To Watch This Memorial Day Weekend Is The New 'Bachelorette' Engaged? Tavis Smiley Marks 10th Year On PBS
- Hear This: “Second Best” reflects a pivotal moment all serious bands face Watch This: The wages and the fear remain high in William Friedkin’s Sorcerer Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Nine: James Gray and Joaquin Phoenix reteam for a compelling period drama
- The CW's 'Cult' Returns from Cancellation June 28 'White House Down' Featurette: Roland Emmerich Revists White House-Based Mayhem Jimmy Fallon Goes 'Game of Thrones' For 'Late Night's "Game of Desks"
- Weekly Ketchup: Fox and Marvel Both Courting Quicksilver for Comic Blockbusters Critics Consensus: Fast & Furious 6 is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Photos with Vin Diesel, Michelle Rodriguez, Gina Carano and More
- Would You Rather… Hang Backstage with One Direction or the Jonas Brothers? Watch Kesha Perform 'Machine Gun Love' Live See Pictures of Your Favorite Celebrity Couples Now + Then