Shocker: 'New Moon' beats 'Dark Knight's' Midnight record
Can it set the single day record too?
No one expected "The Twilight Saga: New Moon" to disappoint at the box office, but even Summit Entertainment has to be surprised by the massive opening the sequel garnered from midnight shows across the country. Distributors are still submitting their grosses but sources tell HitFix "New Moon" has set a new record and may have made as much as $25 million from its midnight launch.
Update: Summit officially announces $26.23 million for midnight shows for "New Moon."
To compare, previous record holder "Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince" which made $22.2 million last summer or the "The Dark Knight" made $18.4 million in over 3,000 theaters in 2008. However, both of those films were also on IMAX screens which charge higher ticket prices thereby inflating the overall gross. Not jumping on the IMAX bandwagon (so far), only makes "New Moon's" gross even more remarkable.
Opening in 3,514 theaters, "New Moon" could also challenge "Dark Knight's" single day gross of $67 million, but that seems a tad unlikely based on a predominantly female only fan base. As for the weekend, the first "Twilight" dropped 49% from Friday to Saturday and the sequel is expected to find a similar drop. On the other hand, "Dark Knight" dropped only 29% over that span. Therefore, breaking the acclaimed thriller's opening weekend gross record of $158.4 million has to be out of reach, but surpassing this year's champ, "Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen" with $108 million, is entirely possible (at the moment at least).
Overseas fans have also taken a bib bite into the hype as "New Moon" did stellar business in France and Spain on Wednesday. In France, the Vampire flick found $4.35 million U.S. on only 751 prints. Spain's gross was just as strong with $2.1 million U.S. on 603 prints.
With "2012" continuing to do strong business and Sandra Bullock's "The Blind Side" projecting an $18-22 million opening, this could be a record setting weekend at the box office all around for the industry.
Look for more box office updates as the weekend progresses on HitFix.
News From Our Partners
- The Future Of Olivia And Fitz, And More Season 3 Scoop SPOILER ALERT: What's Ahead In 'Nikita' Season 4? Google Glass Does Porn
- What to Watch This Weekend: The Season Finales of Nikita, Doctor Who, The Simpsons, and Family Guy The Office Series Finale Review: That'll Do, Show. That'll Do. Syfy Renews Warehouse 13 for a Fifth and Final Season
- Weekly Ketchup: Will Smith to Star in Wild Bunch Remake? Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Roundup: Star Trek Into Darkness Edition
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When
- 'Anchorman 2′ Teaser: Stay Classy, Fat Face! Team Fortress 2′s Robotic Boogaloo Community Update Adds Even More Hats Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D to Launch with L.A. Zoo's Party Animals
- Beyonce Pregnant Again? Sources Confirm 'Epic' Star Is Carrying Baby No. 2 'Hangover 3' Red Band Trailer: Take a Walk Down a NSFW Memory Lane (VIDEO) Why 'Man of Steel' Didn't Use 'Superman' in the Title
- Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Three: Cheers for the young stars of The Selfish Giant, jeers for the new films by Hirokazu Kore-eda and Arnaud Desplechin Hear This: Destroy This Place shows how press releases can get it right Watch This: With Beavis And Butt-head Do America, Mike Judge skewered the idiocy of cinematic adventures
- How Far Will 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Boldly Go At Box Office? 'Star Trek Into Darkness': The Secret Behind The Mystery Villain 'Pacific Rim' Trailer Surfaces: Watch Now!