Sellouts scare 'Paranormal Activity' into more theaters nationwide
The little horror flick that could expanding to over 40 markets
After selling out all its midnight screenings from Thursday-Saturday night this past weekend, Paramount Pictures announced its expanding the low budget horror flick "Paranormal Activity" into 10 new markets brining the nationwide total to 40. The studio will also allow distributors to now play the film at all times beginning on Friday.
"Activity" grossed an eye-popping $535,000 from screenings in 33 cities (almost entirely midnight shows) for an impressive $16,000 average.
In a statement from the studio, Paramount Vice Chairman Rob Moore said, "The fans have spoken, and we are listening."
With a painfully miniscule marketing budget, the limited release has largely been dictated on requests for the movie on social networks MySpace, Facebook and Twitter. With $780,000 in the bank so far it is still unclear how much "Activity" can to out at. Over a decade ago, "The Blair Witch Project" used a similar word of mouth campaign to generate interest online, but also had a significant marketing budget and television advertising none of which "Activity" has enjoyed (at the moment). With that buzz "Blair Witch" made $140 million in the U.S. alone. Shot for only $15,000 and acquired for far less than $1 million, if "Activity" makes 1/10th of "Blair Witch" they'll be celebrating on Paramount's Melrose lot for weeks.
And yes, nany in the industry will be keeping a watchful eye on next weekend's totals to see if lightening continues to strike twice.
To get showtimes and tickets for "Paranormal Activity," click here.
News From Our Partners
- WATCH: Gay Protest Turns Into Fashion Show What Netflix Really Wants Out Of 'Arrested Development' Game Of Desks Is HERE!
- Hear This: “Second Best” reflects a pivotal moment all serious bands face Watch This: The wages and the fear remain high in William Friedkin’s Sorcerer Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Nine: James Gray and Joaquin Phoenix reteam for a compelling period drama
- Baz Luhrmann Passed on Directing 'Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone' Someone Just Paid $1.5 Million to Sit Next to Leonardo DiCaprio in Space Tim Curry Is Fine After Suffering a Massive Stroke: Report
- 'Star Wars: Episode VI': What's Its Legacy... And Its Future? 'Arrested Development' Season Four: Eight Things To Remember 'Fast & Furious 6': The Reviews Are In!
- What to Watch This Weekend: Orphan Black, Behind the Candelabra, and Arrested Development's Netflix Debut Do These Four New Arrested Development Clips Get You Excited for the Show's Return? (VIDEO) Arrested Development Q&A: Alia Shawkat on Maeby, the Return of the Show, and the Canonization of Mitch Hurwitz
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Does Someone Have to Go?: Work Sucks.... If You Are On This Show The Telefile - Save Me: Lightning Strikes NBC
- Weekly Ketchup: Fox and Marvel Both Courting Quicksilver for Comic Blockbusters Critics Consensus: Fast & Furious 6 is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Photos with Vin Diesel, Michelle Rodriguez, Gina Carano and More
- 'Avengers 2′ — Joss Whedon Talks Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Trilogy HD Will Let You Hold It on Your Mobile Device Will Smith Raps 'Fresh Prince' Theme with Jaden, Dances "Carlton" and "Apache" with Alfonso Ribiero