Paul Rudd and Owen Wilson are in talks to star in Reese Witherspoon's next comedy
Scheduling may complicate the James L. Brooks flick
Paul Rudd has finally hit the goldmine.
After finding his niche as a supporting player in Judd Apatow's "The 40-Year Old Virgin," "Knocked Up" and the Apatow produced "Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy," Rudd scored a true leading role in the surprise hit "Role Models" (a project he co-wrote mind you). Now, with his next feature, "I Love You, Man" looking like a hit, Rudd is in high demand. According to Variety, Oscar-winner James L. Brooks is looking to cast the "Clueless" veteran in his new untitled comedy.
Joining Rudd in the project, that has the working title "How Do You Know?," would be Owen Wilson and Reese Witherspoon. Brook's screenplay centers on a love triangle where Rudd portrays a white-collar executive looking to romance Witherspoon's character and Wilson would play a pro baseball pitcher on her radar.
Columbia Pictures is looking to start production early this summer, but Rudd may not be able to fit it in his busy schedule. He's also in talks to star in the DreamWork's comedy "Dinner for Schmucks" which is supposed to shoot in September. Brooks, who traditionally shoots beyond a three-month schedule (and usually not for the best reasons), may be the key here which may force Ruddto choose between the two projects.
In the meantime, Witherspoon and Rudd will both be heard in DreamWorks Animation's "Monsters vs. Aliens." Rudd also has a supporting role in the Jack Black and Michael Cera comedy "The Year One."
Wilson is coming off the holiday blockbuster "Marley and Me." He'll reprise his role as the miniature cowboy Jedediah in "Night at the Museum: Battle of the Smithsonian" this Memorial Day.
Stay up to date with the latest breaking news in the worlds of movies, TV and music by signing up for HitFix E-mail Alerts.
News From Our Partners
- The Telefile - TNT & TBS Upfront 2013: Reaping What Other Networks Sowed The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When The Telefile - New Girl: Wedding Do's and Don'ts
- Hear This: Connections gives a Guided By Voices-indebted reason to go for the opener Watch This: The second half of Twilight Zone: The Movie more than makes up for the first Tolerability Index: This week we're barely putting up with The Killing
- Total Recall: Star Trek Movies Parental Guidance: Star Trek Into Darkness In Pictures: The Stars of Star Trek Into Darkness
- Shakira Leaving 'The Voice' Next Season Source Claims Kanye West + Kim Kardashian Will Most Likely Break Up Before the Baby Is Born Demi Lovato Gets New 'Warrior'-Inspired Tattoo [Pic]
- Grimm "The Waking Dead" Review: Dead On Arrival What to Watch Tonight: The Season Finales of Arrow, CSI, and Supernatural CBS's 2013-2014 Schedule: New Nights for Person of Interest and Hawaii Five-0, More Comedy on Thursdays
- 'Riddick' Trailer: Vin Diesel Is Back and Playing for Blood 'Rio 2' Teaser Trailer Has Landed: Let's Dance! Cannes 2013: Celebs Invade Opening Ceremony (PHOTOS)
- Reese Witherspoon Joins Paul Thomas Anderson's 'Inherent Vice' CBS Fall 2013 Trailers: Sarah Michelle Gellar's 'Crazy Ones,' Anna Faris' Mom' and More! Sony Trademarks Possible PlayStation 4 Slogan "Greatness Awaits"
- Why They Went 'Crazy' 30 EPIC Wedding Disasters 'No One Lives Forever'