Mickey Rourke and Sam Rockwell set to join 'Iron Man 2'
Possible Black Widow character yet to be cast
Is Mickey Rourke the hottest actor in Hollywood? Last night word leaked that the Oscar-buzzed star of “The Wrestler” was set to rejoin his old friend Sylvester Stallone and a slew of action heroes in the new thriller “Expendables.” Now, according to The Hollywood Reporter, Rourke is in talks to play a villain in “Iron Man 2.”
Marvel Studios is trying to keep things quiet, but the current incarnation of the screenplay, being written by Justin Theroux, would find Rourke playing a Russian heavy named Ivan who becomes Whiplash, a killer with a deadly and powerful steel coil. In his original comic-book incarnation (where he’s also known as Backlash), Whiplash’s coil was in the form of a whip, it’s unclear how it would appear in the sequel.
Making any sequel is difficult. So often, it seems like the people with the least idea about what made a film work are the people who actually made it. Audiences connect with films for all sorts of reasons, and trying to reproduce that lightning-in-a-bottle can end up an exercise in frustration.
If you were to ask me, though, I think "Iron Man 2" has a shot at being one of those cases where they get everything right and actually improve upon the well-liked original.
Late last year Marvel announced Don Cheadle would be replacing Terrence Howard in the role of Col. James ‘Rhodney’ Rhodes, a.k.a. War Machine. Gwyenth Paltrow is set to return as Stark’s assistant, Pepper Potts.
The trader reports one last role, for what appears to be a second Stark assistant, Natasha (or would that be the Black Widow?), has not yet been cast.
Downey, Jr.’s dramatic comeback from substance abuse pinnacled with the release of “Iron Man” last year. There is some irony that another comeback kid, Rourke, came on board the sequel to play his adversary.
Production is expected to begin this spring in Manhattan Beach. Paramount Pictures will distribute the Marvel Studios production on May 7, 2010.
News From Our Partners
- Hear This: You don’t have to know the words to have fun with this Stone Temple Pilots single Watch This: Ronin is a triumph of crime-flick economy Cannes Film Festival: Cannes, Day Seven: J.C. Chandor makes good, Nicolas Winding Refn goes bad, and Claire Denis gets ugly
- 'The World's End' Trailer: Pints, Pals, and Killer Robots! Francis Ford Coppola Directing New Italian-American Saga 'Don Jon' Trailer: Joseph-Gordon Levitt and Scarlett Johansson Go Jersey
- The Telefile - Critics' Choice Television Awards 2013: Nominees Announced The Telefile - TV on DVD: Tuesday, May 21, 2013 The Telefile - Veep: The Episode's Best Insults
- Total Recall: Bradley Cooper's Best Movies Parental Guidance: Epic and Beautiful Creatures Comic Book Movies You Can Watch Online
- Charlotte Robinson: Somer Bingham Talks LGBT Issues and Life After The Real L Word (AUDIO) PHOTOS: Has Ellen Had Enough Of LA? Jennifer Aniston On 'Friends' Reunion: 'We All Miss Working Together'
- Justin Bieber's 'Baby' Is Highest-Certified Single in History, But His Monkey Is No Longer His Son Ho Young's Girlfriend Found Dead Listen to The-Dream Collaborate With Beyonce on 'Turnt'
- 'Metallica Through the Never' Trailer: Angry Mobs and "Master of Puppets" 'Timecop' Being Remade, As All Movies Eventually Must 'We're The Millers' Red Band NSFW Trailer: Jennifer Aniston and Jason Sudeikis Smuggle Drugs
- 'Man Of Steel': Is Zod Superman's Khan? New 'Man of Steel' Trailer: Watch Now! 'The Hangover': Retracing The Success Of A Few Crazy Nights