Robert Rodriguez eyeing April production start for 'Machete' sequel
Danny Trejo in talks to reprise his role as the Mexican ass-kicker
It appears that former Mexican Federale/general bad-ass "Machete" Cortez (Danny Trejo) will be plowing his way through scores of ruthless, politically-connected criminals once again in "Machete Kills", a forthcoming sequel to the 2010 cult hit which writer/director Robert Rodriguez is eyeing for an April production start. Trejo, obviously the deciding factor in whether or not the film gets made, is currently in talks to return as the title character.
According to Deadline, Rodriguez also expects several members of the original cast - which included Jessica Alba, Michelle Rodriguez and Lindsay Lohan (hmmm...) - to reprise their roles in the intended follow-up.
Oscar-winning writer William Monahan signs to polish 'Sin City 2' for Rodriguez and Miller
Sounds like the studio's serious about making this one
“The fan response to the Machete character has been fanatical since his first appearance,” said Rodriguez. “Machete is truly a super hero and 'Machete Kills' will be bigger and more ambitious than the first time.”
The character was first introduced in a crowd-pleasing fake trailer that opened Rodriguez and Quentin Tarantino's joint 2007 genre throwback "Grindhouse".
The second installment in the "Machete" series, which was conceived as a trilogy, will see the eponymous hero taking on a Mexican billionaire who intends on starting a global war using a sophisticated space weapon. The title will be shopped at the European Film Market being held this month in Berlin.
While it wasn't a blockbuster success by any measure, the first "Machete" grossed over $44 million worldwide on a $10.5 million budget and garnered a sizable cult following. With promises of "bigger and more ambitious" exploits this time around, Rodriguez is clearly hoping to expand on the audience that turned out for the first film.
Are you excited for a "Machete" sequel, or did you come away from the first movie unimpressed? Sound off with your thoughts in the comments!
Trending Now on HitFix Boards
|Topic||Started By||Latest Post||Replies|
2 months ago
4 months ago
|Discuss Movies General on HitFix Message Boards »|
News From Our Partners
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Does Someone Have to Go?: Work Sucks.... If You Are On This Show The Telefile - Save Me: Lightning Strikes NBC
- Baz Luhrmann Passed on Directing 'Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone' Someone Just Paid $1.5 Million to Sit Next to Leonardo DiCaprio in Space Tim Curry Is Fine After Suffering a Massive Stroke: Report
- WATCH: Gay Protest Turns Into Fashion Show What Netflix Really Wants Out Of 'Arrested Development' Game Of Desks Is HERE!
- 'Avengers 2′ — Joss Whedon Talks Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Trilogy HD Will Let You Hold It on Your Mobile Device Will Smith Raps 'Fresh Prince' Theme with Jaden, Dances "Carlton" and "Apache" with Alfonso Ribiero
- Hear This: “Second Best” reflects a pivotal moment all serious bands face Watch This: The wages and the fear remain high in William Friedkin’s Sorcerer Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Nine: James Gray and Joaquin Phoenix reteam for a compelling period drama
- Weekly Ketchup: Fox and Marvel Both Courting Quicksilver for Comic Blockbusters Critics Consensus: Fast & Furious 6 is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Photos with Vin Diesel, Michelle Rodriguez, Gina Carano and More
- One Direction's Niall Horan Spends the Night With UK TV Star Louise Thompson Kelly Clarkson Denies 'American Idol' Judging Gig Did Justin Bieber Get a Kitten? [Pics]
- What to Watch This Weekend: Orphan Black, Behind the Candelabra, and Arrested Development's Netflix Debut Do These Four New Arrested Development Clips Get You Excited for the Show's Return? (VIDEO) Arrested Development Q&A: Alia Shawkat on Maeby, the Return of the Show, and the Canonization of Mitch Hurwitz