Rhys Ifans will battle 'Spider-Man,' but what villain will he play?
Studio wants to keep Peter Parker's adversary a secret
The rapidly expanding cast of 'Spider-Man' now has a villain. Sony Pictures today announced that Rhys Ifans has joined the cast of Marc Webb's Web Slinger reboot. Curiously, the filmmakers while acknowledging Ifans will play Peter Parker's adversary in the new project, they intend to keep the identify of his character a secret for as long as possible.
In a statement released by the studio, Webb noted, "What sets the Spider-Man villains apart is the complexity of their relationships with Peter Parker. Rhys' incredible ability to embody both warmth and rage makes him the ideal choice for this character."
- Check out everything there is including photos, reviews, videos.
Ifans is best known for his role in the British romantic comedy"Notting Hill." He recently starred opposite Ben Stiller in "Greenberg," but will return to the screen in "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows." Andrew Garfield and Emma Stone were previously announced for the roles of Parker and Gwen Stacy.
"Spider-Man" is expected to begin production in early 2011 for its previously announced July 3, 2012 release.
Who do you hope Ifans is playing? Share your thoughts below.
News From Our Partners
- What to Watch This Weekend: The Season Finales of Nikita, Doctor Who, The Simpsons, and Family Guy The Office Series Finale Review: That'll Do, Show. That'll Do. Syfy Renews Warehouse 13 for a Fifth and Final Season
- Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Three: Cheers for the young stars of The Selfish Giant, jeers for the new films by Hirokazu Kore-eda and Arnaud Desplechin Hear This: Destroy This Place shows how press releases can get it right Watch This: With Beavis And Butt-head Do America, Mike Judge skewered the idiocy of cinematic adventures
- Beyonce Pregnant Again? Sources Confirm 'Epic' Star Is Carrying Baby No. 2 'Hangover 3' Red Band Trailer: Take a Walk Down a NSFW Memory Lane (VIDEO) Why 'Man of Steel' Didn't Use 'Superman' in the Title
- Weekly Ketchup: Will Smith to Star in Wild Bunch Remake? Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Roundup: Star Trek Into Darkness Edition
- Kendall Schmidt of Big Time Rush Loses $7,000 Worth of Gifts for Fans [Video] Kanye West to Drop New Album 'Yeezus' on June 18 Justin Bieber + Selena Gomez Will Sit Together at 2013 Billboard Music Awards
- The Wrap Up: Remember 'The Office' With the Ultimate Blooper Reel The Sims 3: Island Paradise's Producer Walkthrough Shows Us the Finer Points of Tropical Life 'Man of Steel' Featurette: Reinventing Superman
- The 'Doctors' Unite 'We Are Men' In 4 Words MTV Legend Recalls Heavy Metal Frontman's Anti-Gay T-Shirt Controversy
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When