Report: Summit stakes release for 'Twilight' follow-up 'Eclipse'
'The Twilight Saga: Eclipse' would open on June 30, 2010
That's what Nikki Finke says over at her DeadlineHollywoodDaily blog.
Finke says that Chris Weitz, who replaced Catherine Hardwicke as director on "New Moon," isn't currently signed for the the third film.
Production on "New Moon" (formal title "The Twilight Saga: New Moon") will begin next month. Summit has already staked out a Nov. 20, 2009 release date for the sequel.
"New Moon" will open nearly a year to the day after the premiere of "Twilight," which has taken in more than $360 million worldwide, an impressive return on its reported $37 million budget.
For many fans of Meyer's series, "Eclipse" is a favorite, generating the most romantic tension between Bella (Kristen Stewart), her vampire beau Edward (Robert Pattinson) and the increasingly brooding, passionate and lycanthropic Jacob (Taylor Lautner). Beyond the mobilization of Team Edward and Team Jacob, the third book's plot involves a series of murders in the Seattle area, murders that are almost certain to be supernatural in nature.
Summit originally only acquired rights to Meyer's "Twilight," but secured "New Moon," "Eclipse" and "Breaking Dawn" one week before the first movie's blockbuster opening.
Stay up to date with the latest breaking news in the worlds of movies, TV and music by signing up for HitFix E-mail Alerts.
News From Our Partners
- The 'Doctors' Unite 'We Are Men' In 4 Words MTV Legend Recalls Heavy Metal Frontman's Anti-Gay T-Shirt Controversy
- Weekly Ketchup: Will Smith to Star in Wild Bunch Remake? Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Roundup: Star Trek Into Darkness Edition
- Kendall Schmidt of Big Time Rush Loses $7,000 Worth of Gifts for Fans [Video] Kanye West to Drop New Album 'Yeezus' on June 18 Justin Bieber + Selena Gomez Will Sit Together at 2013 Billboard Music Awards
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When
- Fiery 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Scene Hurt The Most: Ouch! How Far Will 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Boldly Go At Box Office? 'Star Trek Into Darkness': The Secret Behind The Mystery Villain
- Beyonce Pregnant Again? Sources Confirm 'Epic' Star Is Carrying Baby No. 2 'Hangover 3' Red Band Trailer: Take a Walk Down a NSFW Memory Lane (VIDEO) Why 'Man of Steel' Didn't Use 'Superman' in the Title
- The Wrap Up: Remember 'The Office' With the Ultimate Blooper Reel The Sims 3: Island Paradise's Producer Walkthrough Shows Us the Finer Points of Tropical Life 'Man of Steel' Featurette: Reinventing Superman
- Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Three: Cheers for the young stars of The Selfish Giant, jeers for the new films by Hirokazu Kore-eda and Arnaud Desplechin Hear This: Destroy This Place shows how press releases can get it right Watch This: With Beavis And Butt-head Do America, Mike Judge skewered the idiocy of cinematic adventures