Report: 'Game of Thrones' Alan Taylor to direct 'Thor 2'
Replaces Patty Jenknis who was dismissed over 'creative differences'
With "The Killing" and "Monster" helmer Patty Jenkins no longer on board because of the dreaded (read into it what you will) "creative differences," Marvel Studios has been on a hurried lookout to find a new director for "Thor 2." The sequel to May's hit has already been dated by Walt Disney Studios for Nov. 13, 2013. Now, it appears the Marvel crew has found their man in the fire and blood of "Game of Thrones."
A report from Deadline declares that Alan Taylor, who recently helmed a number of "Game of Thrones" episodes including the startling season one finale, "Fire and Blood." Taylor's credits include an Emmy winning turn on "The Sopranos" and "Mad Men" for which he shared a DGA Award in 2008. He's also helmed the pilot for "The Playboy Club," four episodes of "Bored to Death's" first season and a single episode of "Boardwalk Empire" in 2010. Taylor's big screen efforts have been much less acclaimed. He first came to attention with the 1995 indie "Palookaville" and has the little seen "The Emperor's New Clothes" and "Kill the Poor" to his credit. He hasn't directed a feature since 2003's "Poor."
HitFix has reached out to Marvel for confirmation, but that will likely have to wait until after the holiday weekend.
Little is known about the storyline for "Thor 2," but it was assumed Jenkins involvement meant Marvel wanted to take it in a grittier direction. Taylor's selection means they may prefer a dusting of realism added to the mix.
The first "Thor" grossed $449 million worldwide. The character, played by Chris Hemsworth, will also appear in Joss Whedon's highly anticipated "The Avengers" this May. Hemsworth recently finished production on "Show White and the Huntsman" and will be seen in the long delayed "The Cabin in the Woods" and "Red State" in 2012.
News From Our Partners
- The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When The Telefile - TNT & TBS Upfront 2013: Reaping What Other Networks Sowed
- One Direction Announce Where We Are Stadium Tour for 2014 Miley Cyrus Wants Everyone to Know She's Still Engaged by Posting This New Pic Most Anticipated Album Release for June 2013 – Readers Poll
- Hulu.com: Is The Office the Definitive TV Show of the '00s? Craziest 'Simpsons' Couch Gag Yet? Denied By PBS?
- Weekend Movies: 'Star Trek Into Darkness,' 'Black Rock,' and More Bruce Willis Set for 'Expiration': Actor Will Play Hitman in Next Movie Emma Watson Says She is in No Rush 'To Be Seen as a Woman'
- Total Recall: Star Trek Movies Parental Guidance: Star Trek Into Darkness In Pictures: The Stars of Star Trek Into Darkness
- What to Watch Tonight: The Office's Big Farewell and the Season Finales of TVD, Elementary, and Five More The CW's 2013-2014 Schedule: Supernatural Switches Nights Again, The Vampire Diaries Pairs With Reign Watch the Trailers for The CW's New Series, Including The 100, Star-Crossed, and Reign (VIDEO)
- State of Decay, TMNT Release Dates Leaked by Gamestop Watch 'The Hangover 3′ Stars Zach Galifianakis and Ken Jeong Perform Stand-Up Together in 1998 'Pacific Rim' Trailer: When Man and Machine Become One
- Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day One: Sofia Coppola offers the first misfire of the festival Hear This: A song with a long title succinctly encapsulates ’90s power-pop Watch This: Laura Palmer lives—however briefly—in Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me