Report: Chris Hemsworth is 'Thor' and lead in 'Red Dawn'
HitFix confirms actor will star in MGM's reboot of 1984 thriller
Marvel Studios and director Kenneth Branagh may have finally found the son of Odin.
According to a report from Deadline Hollywood Daily, Chris Hemsworth has been cast as the Asgardian god in the potential new franchise "Thor."
Additionally, HitFix can also confirm from a source within MGM/UA that Hemsworth will play the role Jed, originally portrayed by Patrick Swayze, in MGM's reboot of "Red Dawn." Hemsworth is currently shooting the Joss Whedon-produced "The Cabin in the Woods" for the studio.
The 25-year-old Aussie actor is already best known for playing George Kirk, father of James, in J.J. Abrams new vision of "Star Trek." He'll also appear in the thriller "A Perfect Getaway" with Milla Jovovich and Steve Zahn this August. For five years, Hemworth was a regular fixture on the Australian TV drama "Home and Away."
"Thor" is scheduled for release approximately two years from now on May 20, 2011. "The Cabin in the Woods" will hit screens on Feb. 6, 2010. "Red Dawn" is slated for release on Sept. 24, 2010.
What do you think of Hemsworth as the Mighty Thor? Share your thoughts below.
News From Our Partners
- Amazon Picks Up John Goodman's 'Alpha House,' Computer Comedy 'Betas' 'Rapturepalooza' Trailer: Anna Kendrick Gets Seduced by Satan 'Doctor Who' Season 8: Matt Smith Confirmed to Stay Another Year?
- How Far Will 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Boldly Go At Box Office? 'Star Trek Into Darkness': The Secret Behind The Mystery Villain 'Pacific Rim' Trailer Surfaces: Watch Now!
- Pop Bytes: Michael Jackson's Nephew Negates Wade Robson's Molestation Claims + More Watch Macklemore, Kendrick Lamar, Ellie Goulding + More on Hangout Festival Livestream Dumb Celebrity Quotes – Who Said This?
- What to Watch This Weekend: The Season Finales of Nikita, Doctor Who, The Simpsons, and Family Guy The Office Series Finale Review: That'll Do, Show. That'll Do. Syfy Renews Warehouse 13 for a Fifth and Final Season
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When
- Behind The Shocking 'Grey's Anatomy' Finale WATCH: Tobias Fünke's New Sizzle Reel Is Epic JLo Steals Spotlight On 'American Idol'
- Beyonce Pregnant Again? Sources Confirm 'Epic' Star Is Carrying Baby No. 2 'Hangover 3' Red Band Trailer: Take a Walk Down a NSFW Memory Lane (VIDEO) Why 'Man of Steel' Didn't Use 'Superman' in the Title
- Hear This: Destroy This Place shows how press releases can get it right Watch This: With Beavis And Butt-head Do America, Mike Judge skewered the idiocy of cinematic adventures Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Two: Iranian director Asghar Farhadi chases A Separation with another stunning drama