Report: Vin Diesel and Paul Walker confirms fifth 'Fast & Furious' in the works
Diesel says next one could be 'Robin Hood-esque,' set in Europe and will Tyrese return?
Universal is hoping "Fast & Furious" starts the summer blockbuster season early this year when it opens on April 3, but rumors have been flying that the studio is already working on a fifth installment of their reinvigorated franchise. Speaking at the press day for the actioner today, stars Paul Walker and Vin Diesel confirmed another sequel is definitely in the works.
"It's beyond rumors at this point," Walker, who appeared in the first two films in the series says. "I've spoken to executives at Universal and they are pretty serious about it. they are developing it. They know where they want it to take place. They want it to take place in Europe."
Without spoiling the ending, "Fast & Furious" leaves the door open for moviegoers to expect another adventure with oil and water street racers Dominic and Brian. The character's tempestuous relationship began in the original 2001 flick "The Fast and the Furious."
Diesel, who could be at the start of a career comeback if the current flick lives up to projections says of the next chapter, "In times like this we are going through, there is often born the 'Robin Hood'-esque story. These fables are born from times like these."
Take from that what you will, though it will be intriguing to see if that is the eventual storyline since Universal is about to shoot a period Robin Hood picture with director Ridley Scott, Russell Crowe and Cate Blanchett.
If it does happen, Walker says he wants everyone involved to take their due diligence and really put time into making it the "best one yet."
"I don't think the best one yet has been made yet. If we were to make a fifth one? That would be the best one in my mind," Walker says. "Otherwise, let's not do it."
The actor says that while Vin is already providing input in the development process, he'd also like to get his day in court, but realizes his laid back attitude may deter his involvement.
"[Diesel's] got a big voice and he's on it. He's pretty tight reigns," Walker says. "I'm like, 'Oh, things are gonnna come around. Let's be organic, let's sit down and talk. Let's see how it flows.' Y'know, Vin's in there moving things around. I think that's where we compliment each other. The reason why people think we have chemistry, whatever it seems to be. I guess our approaches are so different."
Also, if there is another film expect Paul Walker and director Justin Lin to lobby for the return of "2 Fast 2 Furious'" Tyrese Gibson. Both men were disappointed their efforts to include him in the latest picture didn't work out.
Diesel isn't guaranteeing a fifth flick will occur after being burnt so many times on his long in the works "Hannibal" epic, but says he's always thinking a few pictures at a time with any franchise he's part of.
"You remember with 'Chronicles of Riddick' I wanted to do three films at a time," Diesel says. " I'm ambitious like that. I try to work out stories in service of what I was talking about and in the way I approach sequels -- in that Coppola way. I try to think out the story even before we go to shoot the film that's at hand. So, yes I had been thinking about it. I actually thought of shooting both of the movies back-to-back with Universal with the president of Universal and he was like, 'What? We're just getting our feet back together.'"
At this point, however, the "Fast & Furious" relationship looks far from over.
"Fast & Furious" opens nationwide on April 3.
News From Our Partners
- Grimm "The Waking Dead" Review: Dead On Arrival What to Watch Tonight: The Season Finales of Arrow, CSI, and Supernatural CBS's 2013-2014 Schedule: New Nights for Person of Interest and Hawaii Five-0, More Comedy on Thursdays
- 'Riddick' Trailer: Vin Diesel Is Back and Playing for Blood 'Rio 2' Teaser Trailer Has Landed: Let's Dance! Cannes 2013: Celebs Invade Opening Ceremony (PHOTOS)
- The Telefile - TNT & TBS Upfront 2013: Reaping What Other Networks Sowed The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When The Telefile - New Girl: Wedding Do's and Don'ts
- Shakira Leaving 'The Voice' Next Season Source Claims Kanye West + Kim Kardashian Will Most Likely Break Up Before the Baby Is Born Demi Lovato Gets New 'Warrior'-Inspired Tattoo [Pic]
- Why They Went 'Crazy' 30 EPIC Wedding Disasters 'No One Lives Forever'
- Reese Witherspoon Joins Paul Thomas Anderson's 'Inherent Vice' CBS Fall 2013 Trailers: Sarah Michelle Gellar's 'Crazy Ones,' Anna Faris' Mom' and More! Sony Trademarks Possible PlayStation 4 Slogan "Greatness Awaits"
- Total Recall: Star Trek Movies Parental Guidance: Star Trek Into Darkness In Pictures: The Stars of Star Trek Into Darkness
- Hear This: Connections gives a Guided By Voices-indebted reason to go for the opener Watch This: The second half of Twilight Zone: The Movie more than makes up for the first Tolerability Index: This week we're barely putting up with The Killing