Renee Zellweger teams with Lifetime for period drama series 'Cinnamon Girl'
Star co-created and will executive-produce
Zellweger co-created the show with Anthony Tambakis, who penned the screenplay for "Warrior", and both will serve as executive-producers along with "Warrior" co-writer/director Gavin O'Connor, according to Deadline. Tambakis will write the pilot script and O'Connor will direct.
“We believe the timing is perfect for 'Cinnamon Girl' to have found a home at Lifetime during this transformative juncture at the network,” Zellweger said, referring to Lifetime President Nancy Dubuc's stated plans to revamp the network after taking over the post last year. “We’re really looking forward to making 'Cinnamon Girl' come to life as part of their campaign to expand audience expectations and redefine what it means to be a Lifetime show.”
Zellweger previously executive-produced the 2008 Lifetime Original Movie "Living Proof" starring Harry Connick, Jr., Angie Harmon, Paula Cale and Bernadette Peters. The film debuted to an audience of 2.5 million. Danny Bramson, who worked as a music supervisor on Cameron Crowe's 2000 film "Almost Famous" among other efforts, will fill the same role here and also produce the series.
“Renée’s passion, clarity of character and deep emotion for this project immediately transported us to the late ‘60s/early ‘70s and created a resonance with us wanting to relive that energy,” said Dubuc. “Cinnamon Girl is a game changer for our network and is exactly the type of show we want to deliver.”
Zellweger is next expected to star in 'Bridget Jones 3', though a director hasn't yet officially signed on.
Lifetime also announced this week that they would be remaking the 1989 hit film "Steel Magnolias" with an all-African-American cast. You can check out our dream cast list for the project here.
News From Our Partners
- Listen to Selena Gomez's 'Come & Get It' Remixes Katy Perry vs. Rita Ora vs. Beyonce vs. Kesha vs. Demi Lovato – Who Wore It Best? Chris Brown Launches New 'Channel' Website, Gets More Personal Than Ever
- 'Zombieland' TV Series: Amazon Passes on the Pilot 'How I Met Your Mother' Final Season Spoilers: Producers Explain Time-Turning Format Change 'The Hangover Part 3′ Red-Band NSFW Trailer: It's Time to End the Trilogy
- 'Pacific Rim' Trailer Surfaces: Watch Now! 'Star Trek Into Darkness': The Reviews Are In! Emma Watson In 'The Bling Ring': The Early Reviews Are In!
- Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Roundup: Star Trek Into Darkness Edition Video Interviews with Katie Aselton & Lake Bell of Black Rock
- Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day One: Sofia Coppola offers the first misfire of the festival Hear This: A song with a long title succinctly encapsulates ’90s power-pop Watch This: Laura Palmer lives—however briefly—in Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me
- 'Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon II': The Oscar-Winning Movie is Getting a Sequel 'The Bling Ring' Cannes Premiere: Emma Watson Steals the Show (PHOTOS) Why Brad Bird Turned Down 'Star Wars: Episode VII'; Talks 'Incredibles' Sequel
- What to Watch Tonight: The Office's Big Farewell and the Season Finales of TVD, Elementary, and Five More Supernatural Season 8 Finale Review: It's Raining Angels Watch an Extended Trailer for CBS's Under the Dome (VIDEO)
- The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When The Telefile - TNT & TBS Upfront 2013: Reaping What Other Networks Sowed