Red Hot Chili Peppers guitarist Frusciante leaves band
In the most anticlimactic artist exit of all time
Apparently, Red Hot Chili Peppers guitarist John Frusciante has quit the rock band for a second time. A year ago.
In a MySpace post titled "Clarification," the axeman explained, "When I quit the band, over a year ago, we were on an indefinite hiatus. There was no drama or anger involved, and the other guys were very understanding. They are supportive of my doing whatever makes me happy and that goes both ways."
The Chilis reconvened in October to start on a follow-up to 2006's "Stadium Arcadium," after a two year hiatus from recording and touring.
Frusciante goes on to say that he was exploring his solo career, as his "own engineer," continuing to prove it with the January digital-only release of a the set "The Empyrean." He's released 10 solo records total.
Frusciante joined RHCP in 1988, quit in 1992 then returned in 1998 after completing heroin rehab.
Why is Frusciante making this statement now? He likely forsaw an awkward moment when guitarist Josh Klinghoffer takes the stage instead of him at the Jan. 20 MusicCares ceremony honoring Neil Young. The band has yet to name a permanent replacement.
Maybe he's working on another solo set. Maybe he wanted to hear some of the new RHCP material before saying it was for sure. Maybe he RHCP didn't get the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame nod and was just holding out until they knew for sure (right). Maybe he was waiting for a call from Thom Yorke.
News From Our Partners
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When
- WATCH: SNL Spoofs San Francisco's Bacon Bacon Controversy Mike Hogan: The Wedding From Hell WATCH: 'SNL' Takes On IRS Scandal
- Box Office: 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Misses $100M Domestic Mark on Opening Weekend Beyonce Pregnant Again? Sources Confirm 'Epic' Star Is Carrying Baby No. 2 'Hangover 3' Red Band Trailer: Take a Walk Down a NSFW Memory Lane (VIDEO)
- 'Anchorman 2' Trailer Had Us At 'Hello': Watch Now! Fiery 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Scene Hurt The Most: Ouch! How Far Will 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Boldly Go At Box Office?
- What to Watch Tonight: The Season Finales of Rectify and Hawaii Five-0 and the Series Premieres of The Goodwin Games and Motive Hey TV.com, Should I Watch The Goodwin Games? FTW vs. WTF: The TV Week in Review (May 19)
- Box Office Guru Wrapup: Star Trek Softer Than Expected at #1 Weekly Ketchup: Will Smith to Star in Wild Bunch Remake? Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh
- Inventory: “Illusion, Michael. A trick is something a whore does for money”: 20 inept magicians in pop culture For Our Consideration: The crowd-funding conundrum: The line between bringing fans closer and taking advantage Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Four: The Coen brothers return to the festival with a folk-rock flashback
- Nicki Minaj Gives Lil Wayne a Lap Dance During 'High School' at 2013 Billboard Music Awards [Video] David Guetta, Akon + Ne-Yo 'Play Hard' at 2013 Billboard Music Awards [Video] Prince Closes 2013 Billboard Music Awards With Rare Performance Medley