'212' rapper Azealia Banks signs big-time record deal with Universal Music
A member of HitFix editor Katie Hasty's 'New Class' of hip-hop
"Who will sign this party starter?" asked HitFix music editor Katie Hasty of young rapper Azealia Banks, who she recently named as a member of "Hip-Hop's New Class". Turns out it's Universal Music, as the upstart MC confirmed via Twitter earlier today that she's signed a record deal with the major music label.
"God just dealt me a new hand today. I [sic] reaaaaaaaaaaallllly good hand," tweeted the 20-year-old rapper earlier today, before confirming: "I am now officially signed to Universal Music."
The Harlem-raised Banks began her career in off-Broadway theater as a child and was subsequently educated at the La Guardia High School of Performing Arts. She first gained attention at the age of 17 when she released her first single - appropriately titled "Seventeen" - and later scored a major club hit with the insanely-catchy "212 (ft. Lazy Jay)", which has since racked up over 2.5 million hits since it first hit YouTube back in September. The singer also recently guested on the Scissor Sisters' latest single "Shady Love" (which has a great video, by the way) under the pseudonym "Krystal Pepsy".
In case you were wondering, Banks subsequently tweeted "Album in May? June possibly?", hinting at a ballpark release date for her debut LP. In the meantime, the potential superstar will likely be buying her mother a "Sean John comforter set she's been eyeing at Macy's." Sounds like a plan to me.
You can check out the "212" video below:
Trending Now on HitFix Boards
|Topic||Started By||Latest Post||Replies|
3 months ago
6 months ago
|Discuss Music General on HitFix Message Boards »|
News From Our Partners
- Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Three: Cheers for the young stars of The Selfish Giant, jeers for the new films by Hirokazu Kore-eda and Arnaud Desplechin Hear This: Destroy This Place shows how press releases can get it right Watch This: With Beavis And Butt-head Do America, Mike Judge skewered the idiocy of cinematic adventures
- Weekly Ketchup: Will Smith to Star in Wild Bunch Remake? Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Roundup: Star Trek Into Darkness Edition
- The Future Of Olivia And Fitz, And More Season 3 Scoop SPOILER ALERT: What's Ahead In 'Nikita' Season 4? Google Glass Does Porn
- What to Watch This Weekend: The Season Finales of Nikita, Doctor Who, The Simpsons, and Family Guy The Office Series Finale Review: That'll Do, Show. That'll Do. Syfy Renews Warehouse 13 for a Fifth and Final Season
- How Far Will 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Boldly Go At Box Office? 'Star Trek Into Darkness': The Secret Behind The Mystery Villain 'Pacific Rim' Trailer Surfaces: Watch Now!
- Can You Guess Which Celebrity Lives in This Mansion? Macklemore + Ryan Lewis Cover Billboard, Recall the Glory Days of Drugs, Myspace + More Lady Gaga Wears Sky High Heels to Versace Party [Pic]
- Beyonce Pregnant Again? Sources Confirm 'Epic' Star Is Carrying Baby No. 2 'Hangover 3' Red Band Trailer: Take a Walk Down a NSFW Memory Lane (VIDEO) Why 'Man of Steel' Didn't Use 'Superman' in the Title
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When