President Obama a fan of 'Boardwalk Empire' and 'Homeland'
First Lady and daughters prefer ABC's 'Modern Family'
WASHINGTON (AP) — President Barack Obama says he's a fan of two popular cable TV shows: HBO's "Boardwalk Empire" and Showtime's "Homeland."
First lady Michelle Obama and their daughters, 13-year-old Malia and 10-year-old Sasha, enjoy watching ABC's "Modern Family."
The president and first lady Michelle Obama talked to People Magazine about life in the White House, from Facebook and helping their daughters with classroom assignments to their favorite TV shows and reading habits. Mrs. Obama says their daughters are "settled, they're healthy, (and) thriving."
The president said, "I'm a little darker," telling the magazine that he enjoys "Boardwalk Empire," a drama depicting Prohibition-era Atlantic City, and "Homeland," a psychological thriller about a CIA officer trying to unravel a suspected terrorist plot.
Michelle Obama says her husband has urged Malia to read the classics, so she's reading John Steinbeck's "The Grapes of Wrath," and F. Scott Fitzgerald's "Tender Is the Night." Mrs. Obama says Toni Morrison's "Song of Solomon" is her favorite book, and "I'm interested in hearing how she interprets it."
The president said he doesn't let his daughters on Facebook. He said they told him, "Why would we want to have a whole bunch of people who we don't know knowing our business?"
The first couple said their daughters don't need much help with school work anymore and are "remarkably self-sufficient." The president said sometimes Malia asks for help with a list of 75 vocabulary words. "She'll say, "Read them to me, and I'm going to write them out so that I can spell them right." Mrs. Obama jokes, "That's excruciating."
In 2008, Obama promised his daughters a dog and his wife a date night after the election. This time, "they basically have a blank check. Whatever she demands, she will get."
Copyright (2011) Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
News From Our Partners
- Who Won 'American Idol' 2013? 'The Office' Finale: Michael Scott's Surprise Appearance And Your New 'American Idol' Is ...
- What to Watch This Weekend: The Season Finales of Nikita, Doctor Who, The Simpsons, and Family Guy What to Watch Tonight: The Office's Big Farewell and the Season Finales of TVD, Elementary, and Five More Supernatural Season 8 Finale Review: It's Raining Angels
- 'The Office' Series Finale Review: "Finale" 'Anger Management' Review: "Charlie and the Break-Up Coach" 'Hannibal' Review: "Fromage"
- 'Pacific Rim' Trailer Surfaces: Watch Now! 'Star Trek Into Darkness': The Reviews Are In! Emma Watson In 'The Bling Ring': The Early Reviews Are In!
- Crosstalk: A fan and a newbie catch up on the first season of The Venture Bros. AVQ&A: What are your favorite and least favorite cultural baits and switches? Podmass: The Dice Man infiltrates podcasting, Casey Wilson chokes up on The JV Club, and Kumail vs. Maron
- Mariah Carey Medleys, Jennifer Lopez Lives It Up With Pitbull on 'American Idol' Finale [Videos] Candice Glover Wins 'American Idol' Season 12 Beyonce Gets Emotional Onstage in Belgium [Video]
- The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When The Telefile - TNT & TBS Upfront 2013: Reaping What Other Networks Sowed
- 'Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon II': The Oscar-Winning Movie is Getting a Sequel 'The Bling Ring' Cannes Premiere: Emma Watson Steals the Show (PHOTOS) Why Brad Bird Turned Down 'Star Wars: Episode VII'; Talks 'Incredibles' Sequel