Peter Sarsgaard goes big time as 'Green Lantern's' nemesis
'An Education' star will play evil telepath Hector Hammond
The Emerald Crusader already has his love interest, Blake Lively, and now he's got an adversary for his big screen debut. Peter Sarsgaard is joining the cast of Martin Campbell's "Green Lantern" as the evil Dr. Hector Hammond.
The disappointing son of a U.S. senator, Hammond gains telepathic and telekinetic abilities after he discovers a mysterious meteor. Ryan Reynolds is already on board as Hal Jordan, a test pilot who finds a dying alien who bestows the ring of the Green Lantern Corps, making him the new guardian of Earth's sector.
Blake Lively was cast as Reynold's love interest, Carol Ferris, last week.
The acclaimed Sarsgaard recently completed production on "Knight and Day" opposite Tom Cruise and Cameron Diaz. He's currently shooting the indie "The Ledge" with Terrence Howard and Evan Rachel Wood, but can be seen in theaters in the Oscar contender "An Education." He's best known for his roles in "The Skeleton Key," "Jarhead" and "Kinsey."
According to the Hollywood Reporter, production should begin this March in New Orleans.
News From Our Partners
- Justin Bieber's 'Baby' Is Highest-Certified Single in History, But His Monkey Is No Longer His Son Ho Young's Girlfriend Found Dead Listen to The-Dream Collaborate With Beyonce on 'Turnt'
- What to Watch Tonight: The Season Finales of SVU, The Middle, Modern Family, Chicago Fire, Nashville, and Criminal Minds The Critics Choice Awards Nominations Choose Game of Thrones, Breaking Bad The Weirdest, Grossest, Bestest Moments from Netflix's Hemlock Grove, in Pictures and GIFs
- Charlotte Robinson: Somer Bingham Talks LGBT Issues and Life After The Real L Word (AUDIO) PHOTOS: Has Ellen Had Enough Of LA? Jennifer Aniston On 'Friends' Reunion: 'We All Miss Working Together'
- 'The World's End' Trailer: Pints, Pals, and Killer Robots! Francis Ford Coppola Directing New Italian-American Saga 'Don Jon' Trailer: Joseph-Gordon Levitt and Scarlett Johansson Go Jersey
- Hear This: You don’t have to know the words to have fun with this Stone Temple Pilots single Watch This: Ronin is a triumph of crime-flick economy Cannes Film Festival: Cannes, Day Seven: J.C. Chandor makes good, Nicolas Winding Refn goes bad, and Claire Denis gets ugly
- Total Recall: Bradley Cooper's Best Movies Parental Guidance: Epic and Beautiful Creatures Comic Book Movies You Can Watch Online
- The Telefile - Critics' Choice Television Awards 2013: Nominees Announced The Telefile - TV on DVD: Tuesday, May 21, 2013 The Telefile - Veep: The Episode's Best Insults
- 'Metallica Through the Never' Trailer: Angry Mobs and "Master of Puppets" 'Timecop' Being Remade, As All Movies Eventually Must 'We're The Millers' Red Band NSFW Trailer: Jennifer Aniston and Jason Sudeikis Smuggle Drugs