Dev Patel lands his first studio gig with 'The Last Airbender'
Jesse McCartney drops out of lead role due to touring conflicts
Dev Patel has spent the last few months living the "Slumdog Millionaire" Oscar ride and now he's been plucked by M. Night Shyamalan for his first studio film, the live-action adaptation of the Nickelodeon TV series "The Last Airbender."
Variety reports Patel will play Zuko, a member of the fire nation. Joining him is newcomer Noah Ringer will will play Aang, the film's hero and the last member of a race who had powers over the elements of air. The 12-year-old Ringer, who was cast off an Internet audition, replaces Jesse McCartney whose tour dates conflicted with the "boot camp" Shyamalan scheduled before production.
Also coming on board are Nicola Peltz as the Water Tribe rep Katara and Jessica Jade Andrews as the Earth Kingdom's representative Suki. "Twilight's" Jackson Rathbone has also been cast in the potential franchise.
Production on "Airbender" is expected to begin in mid-March in Greenland. Paramount Pictures has set a release date for July 2, 2010.
News From Our Partners
- What to Watch Tonight: The Office's Big Farewell and the Season Finales of TVD, Elementary, and Five More Arrow Season 1 Finale Review: The Tragedies of Men Grimm "The Waking Dead" Review: Dead On Arrival
- 'American Idol' Recap: Top 2 Perform Shakira Leaving 'The Voice' Next Season Source Claims Kanye West + Kim Kardashian Will Most Likely Break Up Before the Baby Is Born
- Laura Prudom: The Ultimate Sacrifice You Won't Believe What He Stole From George W. Bush It's Getting Ugly
- The Telefile - TNT & TBS Upfront 2013: Reaping What Other Networks Sowed The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When The Telefile - New Girl: Wedding Do's and Don'ts
- Total Recall: Star Trek Movies Parental Guidance: Star Trek Into Darkness In Pictures: The Stars of Star Trek Into Darkness
- 'Riddick' Trailer: Vin Diesel Is Back and Playing for Blood 'Rio 2' Teaser Trailer Has Landed: Let's Dance! Cannes 2013: Celebs Invade Opening Ceremony (PHOTOS)
- Interview: Noah Baumbach on how Frances Ha helped him see New York City with new eyes Random Roles: James Urbaniak on Venture Bros.’ return and Hal Hartley’s Lord Of The Rings Watch This: The second half of Twilight Zone: The Movie more than makes up for the first
- 'Supernatural' Season Finale Review: "Sacrifice" 'Arrow' Season Finale Review: "Sacrifice" 'Modern Family' Review: "Games People Play"