Paisley, Underwood tapped as hosts of CMA Awards
To be a repeat performace of their well-received duties lasat year
The CMA said Tuesday that both singers possess the humor and timing needed to host the three-hour show, which airs live on ABC Nov. 11.
The pair, two of country's most popular young stars, hosted for the first time last year.
"We didn't know what to expect the first time. We had no idea," Underwood said. "Things are different from year to year, but the overall layout - we've got it down."
The host slot has been something of a revolving door since the affable Vince Gill ended a 12-year run in 2003. Brooks & Dunn hosted from 2004-2006, and in 2007 the CMA experimented with no host as multiple artists presided over different segments.
Seated beside each other, Paisley and Underwood said they wrapped up last year's show hoping to be invited back.
"We trust our instincts a little more now," Paisley said. "When they ask you to host and you've never done it before, it could be really bad. We all know of situations in various awards shows where that hosting thing didn't work very well.
"We've all sat through crickets," Underwood added. "Someone said something that was supposed to be a joke, and it's like, 'What are they talking about?'"
Last year, both singers performed during the broadcast, and both accepted major awards during the program: Paisley won male vocalist of the year and Underwood won female vocalist of the year.
"I think being the host made the award and performing part easier," said Underwood, who has five CMA awards, including three consecutive wins as female vocalist. "If your award - the one you really want to win - is at the end of the show, you're going to be sitting there for two and a half hours thinking about that award. We had so much other stuff to do."
Paisley, who has 11 CMA awards, thinks he and Underwood did a good job last year - no jokes that bombed, no bloopers and no wardrobe malfunctions. And knowing what to expect the second time around can only help.
"I think we can get away with some more stuff," Paisley said.
But in the end, Paisley said he and Underwood they complement each other well.
"You can have her out there with all this class and dignity and bring someone on the way they deserve," he said. "And then they can have somebody like me out there where that unfortunate performer gets gypped."
Copyright (2009) Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
News From Our Partners
- Watch 2PM Give Each Other Hugs, Spankings + Piggyback Rides at '2PM Is Back With Genie' Concert [Video] Would Adam Lambert Judge 'American Idol?' [Video] Chris Brown Receiving Death Threats
- Guilty Gear Xrd -SIGN- Announcement Trailer is Full of Swords and Ponytails SNL: Ben Affleck Joins the "Fiver Timers Club" and Explains His Oscar Speech SNL: Iran Responds to 'Argo' With a Film of Its Own
- 'Anchorman 2' Trailer Had Us At 'Hello': Watch Now! Fiery 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Scene Hurt The Most: Ouch! How Far Will 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Boldly Go At Box Office?
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When
- Kanye West Debuts 'Black Skinhead' Kanye Storms 'SNL' The 'Doctors' Unite
- FTW vs. WTF: The TV Week in Review (May 19) Doctor Who "The Name of the Doctor" Review: The Impossible Girl Made Possible What to Watch This Weekend: The Season Finales of Nikita, Doctor Who, The Simpsons, and Family Guy
- Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Three: Cheers for the young stars of The Selfish Giant, jeers for the new films by Hirokazu Kore-eda and Arnaud Desplechin Hear This: Destroy This Place shows how press releases can get it right Watch This: With Beavis And Butt-head Do America, Mike Judge skewered the idiocy of cinematic adventures
- Box Office: 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Misses $100M Domestic Mark on Opening Weekend Beyonce Pregnant Again? Sources Confirm 'Epic' Star Is Carrying Baby No. 2 'Hangover 3' Red Band Trailer: Take a Walk Down a NSFW Memory Lane (VIDEO)