Oscar nominee Demian Bichir signs on for 'Machete Kills', 'Trapped'
Also: what's that about turning down a role in the 'Star Trek' sequel?
2012 Oscar nominee Demian Bichir is making the most of his heightened profile.
The Mexican actor, who received a Best Actor nod this year for his performance in director Chris Weitz's "A Better Life", has signed on for two new projects: Robert Rodriguez's "Machete Kills", the sequel to the 2010 exploitation throwback "Machete"; and an independent thriller entitled "Trapped" being directed by William Friedkin ("Killer Joe", "The Exorcist"). In the former he joins returning star Danny Trejo as well as Michelle Rodriguez, who signed on to reprise her role just yesterday. Bichir's part in the film is unclear at this point, though he'll begin shooting early next month.
In "Trapped", meanwhile, Bichir will play an "Israeli operative", according to story-breaker Variety. The film is slated to enter production early next year.
Bichir will next be seen in the star-studded Oliver Stone thriller "Savages" opposite Taylor Kitsch, Aaron Johnson, Blake Lively, Uma Thurman, Salma Hayek, Emile Hirsch, John Travolta and Benicio del Toro (phew!).
Another interesting tidbit in the Variety article is the revelation that Bichir actually turned down an opportunity to play the main villain in J.J. Abrams upcoming "Star Trek" sequel (the part eventually went to "Sherlock" star Benedict Cumberbatch), thanks to a commitment he previously made to star in a Mexican stageplay written by his brother, fellow actor Bruno Bichir. Now that's what we call family values.
Are you a fan of Bichir's work? Glad he's finally getting more recognition? Let us know in the comments!
Trending Now on HitFix Boards
|Topic||Started By||Latest Post||Replies|
2 months ago
4 months ago
|Discuss Movies General on HitFix Message Boards »|
News From Our Partners
- WATCH: SNL Spoofs San Francisco's Bacon Bacon Controversy Mike Hogan: The Wedding From Hell WATCH: 'SNL' Takes On IRS Scandal
- 'Anchorman 2' Trailer Had Us At 'Hello': Watch Now! Fiery 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Scene Hurt The Most: Ouch! How Far Will 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Boldly Go At Box Office?
- Nicki Minaj Gives Lil Wayne a Lap Dance During 'High School' at 2013 Billboard Music Awards [Video] David Guetta, Akon + Ne-Yo 'Play Hard' at 2013 Billboard Music Awards [Video] Prince Closes 2013 Billboard Music Awards With Rare Performance Medley
- Box Office: 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Misses $100M Domestic Mark on Opening Weekend Beyonce Pregnant Again? Sources Confirm 'Epic' Star Is Carrying Baby No. 2 'Hangover 3' Red Band Trailer: Take a Walk Down a NSFW Memory Lane (VIDEO)
- Box Office Guru Wrapup: Star Trek Softer Than Expected at #1 Weekly Ketchup: Will Smith to Star in Wild Bunch Remake? Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh
- What to Watch Tonight: The Season Finales of Rectify and Hawaii Five-0 and the Series Premieres of The Goodwin Games and Motive Hey TV.com, Should I Watch The Goodwin Games? FTW vs. WTF: The TV Week in Review (May 19)
- 'Mad Men' Review: "The Crash" 'Game of Thrones' Review: "Second Sons" 'Star Wars Episode 7′ — Jonathan Rhys Meyers to Join the Cast?
- Inventory: “Illusion, Michael. A trick is something a whore does for money”: 20 inept magicians in pop culture For Our Consideration: The crowd-funding conundrum: The line between bringing fans closer and taking advantage Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Four: The Coen brothers return to the festival with a folk-rock flashback