Oscar nominee Demian Bichir signs on for 'Machete Kills', 'Trapped'
Also: what's that about turning down a role in the 'Star Trek' sequel?
2012 Oscar nominee Demian Bichir is making the most of his heightened profile.
The Mexican actor, who received a Best Actor nod this year for his performance in director Chris Weitz's "A Better Life", has signed on for two new projects: Robert Rodriguez's "Machete Kills", the sequel to the 2010 exploitation throwback "Machete"; and an independent thriller entitled "Trapped" being directed by William Friedkin ("Killer Joe", "The Exorcist"). In the former he joins returning star Danny Trejo as well as Michelle Rodriguez, who signed on to reprise her role just yesterday. Bichir's part in the film is unclear at this point, though he'll begin shooting early next month.
In "Trapped", meanwhile, Bichir will play an "Israeli operative", according to story-breaker Variety. The film is slated to enter production early next year.
Bichir will next be seen in the star-studded Oliver Stone thriller "Savages" opposite Taylor Kitsch, Aaron Johnson, Blake Lively, Uma Thurman, Salma Hayek, Emile Hirsch, John Travolta and Benicio del Toro (phew!).
Another interesting tidbit in the Variety article is the revelation that Bichir actually turned down an opportunity to play the main villain in J.J. Abrams upcoming "Star Trek" sequel (the part eventually went to "Sherlock" star Benedict Cumberbatch), thanks to a commitment he previously made to star in a Mexican stageplay written by his brother, fellow actor Bruno Bichir. Now that's what we call family values.
Are you a fan of Bichir's work? Glad he's finally getting more recognition? Let us know in the comments!
Trending Now on HitFix Boards
|Topic||Started By||Latest Post||Replies|
2 months ago
4 months ago
|Discuss Movies General on HitFix Message Boards »|
News From Our Partners
- How Far Will 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Boldly Go At Box Office? 'Star Trek Into Darkness': The Secret Behind The Mystery Villain 'Pacific Rim' Trailer Surfaces: Watch Now!
- What to Watch This Weekend: The Season Finales of Nikita, Doctor Who, The Simpsons, and Family Guy The Office Series Finale Review: That'll Do, Show. That'll Do. Syfy Renews Warehouse 13 for a Fifth and Final Season
- Beyonce Pregnant Again? Sources Confirm 'Epic' Star Is Carrying Baby No. 2 'Hangover 3' Red Band Trailer: Take a Walk Down a NSFW Memory Lane (VIDEO) Why 'Man of Steel' Didn't Use 'Superman' in the Title
- Amazon Picks Up John Goodman's 'Alpha House,' Computer Comedy 'Betas' 'Rapturepalooza' Trailer: Anna Kendrick Gets Seduced by Satan 'Doctor Who' Season 8: Matt Smith Confirmed to Stay Another Year?
- Weekly Ketchup: Will Smith to Star in Wild Bunch Remake? Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Roundup: Star Trek Into Darkness Edition
- Behind The Shocking 'Grey's Anatomy' Finale WATCH: Tobias Fünke's New Sizzle Reel Is Epic JLo Steals Spotlight On 'American Idol'
- Pop Bytes: Michael Jackson's Nephew Negates Wade Robson's Molestation Claims + More Watch Macklemore, Kendrick Lamar, Ellie Goulding + More on Hangout Festival Livestream Dumb Celebrity Quotes – Who Said This?
- Hear This: Destroy This Place shows how press releases can get it right Watch This: With Beavis And Butt-head Do America, Mike Judge skewered the idiocy of cinematic adventures Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Two: Iranian director Asghar Farhadi chases A Separation with another stunning drama