No 'Lone Ranger' update as Pixar announces two new films at D23
Untitled Dinosaurs and Inside Your Mind movies arriving in 2013 and 2014
ANAHEIM - Johnny Depp was curiously a big part of Walt Disney Studios' montage of past hits and fan favorites at the beginning of the company's D23 Expo presentation today, but there was little news or mention of the blockbuster star's embattled "Lone Ranger" production from studio chairman Rich Ross. Ross presented the filmmakers and studio heads of Walt Disney Animation, Pixar and Marvel Studios, but the only major news was the confirmation of two new Pixar films for 2013 and 2014.
Pixar veteran and "Up" co-director Bob Peterson will helm the "Untitled Pixar Movie about Dinosaurs" which the company has slated for 2013. Not much was revealed about the project except that it was spawned from an idea of Peterson's about what the world would be like if a meteor never hit the earth causing the extinction of dinosaurs. A concept drawing featured a brontosaurus like dino with a young person riding it in a grassy field.
The other new film which featured even less details from the other "Up" co-director Pete Docter is the "Untitled Pixar Movie that takes you Inside the Mind." Docter appeared onstage and teased the movie will be about what happens with synapses inside your mind.
Other films previewed included a "Cars" spin-off "Planes," Tim Burton's "Frankenweenie," Andrew Stanton's "John Carter [of Mars]," Disney Studios Animation's intriguing "Wreck-it Ralph," Pixar's "Monsters University" and "Brave" as well as "The Muppets," "The Odd Life of Timothy Green" and Sam Raimi's "Oz: The Great and Powerful." Besides the appearance of on screen talent including Taylor Kitsch, Willem Dafoe, Jason Segal, Miss Piggy, Kermit the Frog and Billy Crystal, 4,500 fans were treated to a cupcake to celebrate Pixar's 25th anniversary.
The presentation ended with the cast of "The Avengers" previewing a clip from the Joss Whedon 2012 tentpole.
News From Our Partners
- Kendall Schmidt of Big Time Rush Loses $7,000 Worth of Gifts for Fans [Video] Kanye West to Drop New Album 'Yeezus' on June 18 Justin Bieber + Selena Gomez Will Sit Together at 2013 Billboard Music Awards
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When
- Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Three: Cheers for the young stars of The Selfish Giant, jeers for the new films by Hirokazu Kore-eda and Arnaud Desplechin Hear This: Destroy This Place shows how press releases can get it right Watch This: With Beavis And Butt-head Do America, Mike Judge skewered the idiocy of cinematic adventures
- The 'Doctors' Unite 'We Are Men' In 4 Words MTV Legend Recalls Heavy Metal Frontman's Anti-Gay T-Shirt Controversy
- Weekly Ketchup: Will Smith to Star in Wild Bunch Remake? Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Roundup: Star Trek Into Darkness Edition
- The Wrap Up: Remember 'The Office' With the Ultimate Blooper Reel The Sims 3: Island Paradise's Producer Walkthrough Shows Us the Finer Points of Tropical Life 'Man of Steel' Featurette: Reinventing Superman
- Beyonce Pregnant Again? Sources Confirm 'Epic' Star Is Carrying Baby No. 2 'Hangover 3' Red Band Trailer: Take a Walk Down a NSFW Memory Lane (VIDEO) Why 'Man of Steel' Didn't Use 'Superman' in the Title
- What to Watch This Weekend: The Season Finales of Nikita, Doctor Who, The Simpsons, and Family Guy The Office Series Finale Review: That'll Do, Show. That'll Do. Syfy Renews Warehouse 13 for a Fifth and Final Season