New Ridley Scott thriller starring Gerard Butler being shopped to studios
Fact-based story about British mercenary Simon Mann
In another bit of Ridley Scott news (our second today), it's being reported that the "Prometheus" director is now attached to helm a fact-based thriller with Gerard Butler in the starring role and scribe Robert Edwards penning the script.
Butler would play Simon Mann, a former British Army officer who, after being caught smuggling arms at a Zimbabwean airport with a group of South African mercenaries in 2004, was convicted of attempting a failed coup against the government of dictator Teodoro Obiang Nguema Mbasogo in Equatorial Guinea. After spending nearly four years in a Zimbabwean prison, Mann was later extradited to Guinea and subsequently sentenced by a court there to more than 34 years imprisonment for his involvement. He was released in November 2009 on "humanitarian grounds", receiving a full pardon from Mbagoso. It is believed Mann negotiated a deal implicating other individuals and governments in the coup attempt in exchange for being set free.
Angelina Jolie attached to play iconic trailblazer in new biopic
Ridley Scott circling the film as possible directing project
Evidence also linked U.K. businessman Mark Thatcher - the son of former British Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher - to the coup attempt, and in January 2005 Thatcher pled guilty to "unwittingly" providing financial backing for the operation in a South African court. He was given a four-year suspended sentence and fined 3 million rand (the South African currency), though it's believed by many that the wealthy political son was nakedly attempting to profit from the overthrow of Mbagoso (the African country is rich in oil reserves).
According to Deadline, the project is currently being shopped to studios by Mann, his wife Amanda and screenwriter Edwards. With the involvement of Butler and Scott, the latter of whom is also producing, it seems likely this one will end up landing somewhere soon enough.
Scott's next film is "Prometheus" a sci-fi/action movie starring Charlize Theron, Michael Fassbender, Noomi Rapace and Idris Elba. The film is slated for release on June 8, 2012.
Butler will next be seen in the upcoming sports-comedy film "Playing the Field" opposite Jessica Biel and Dennis Quaid. It's set to hit theaters on March 9th.
News From Our Partners
- Weekly Ketchup: Will Smith to Star in Wild Bunch Remake? Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Roundup: Star Trek Into Darkness Edition
- The Future Of Olivia And Fitz, And More Season 3 Scoop SPOILER ALERT: What's Ahead In 'Nikita' Season 4? Google Glass Does Porn
- Beyonce Pregnant Again? Sources Confirm 'Epic' Star Is Carrying Baby No. 2 'Hangover 3' Red Band Trailer: Take a Walk Down a NSFW Memory Lane (VIDEO) Why 'Man of Steel' Didn't Use 'Superman' in the Title
- 'Anchorman 2′ Teaser: Stay Classy, Fat Face! Team Fortress 2′s Robotic Boogaloo Community Update Adds Even More Hats Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D to Launch with L.A. Zoo's Party Animals
- Can You Guess Which Celebrity Lives in This Mansion? Macklemore + Ryan Lewis Cover Billboard, Recall the Glory Days of Drugs, Myspace + More Lady Gaga Wears Sky High Heels to Versace Party [Pic]
- What to Watch This Weekend: The Season Finales of Nikita, Doctor Who, The Simpsons, and Family Guy The Office Series Finale Review: That'll Do, Show. That'll Do. Syfy Renews Warehouse 13 for a Fifth and Final Season
- Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Three: Cheers for the young stars of The Selfish Giant, jeers for the new films by Hirokazu Kore-eda and Arnaud Desplechin Hear This: Destroy This Place shows how press releases can get it right Watch This: With Beavis And Butt-head Do America, Mike Judge skewered the idiocy of cinematic adventures
- How Far Will 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Boldly Go At Box Office? 'Star Trek Into Darkness': The Secret Behind The Mystery Villain 'Pacific Rim' Trailer Surfaces: Watch Now!