'New Moon' DVD gets the jump on 'Avatar' with 4 million sold
But who will win the 2010 home entertainment title?
As with seemingly every thing in the "Twilight" franchise, each new movie, album or DVD release means just another record waiting to be broken.
After shattering the single day box office record last November, Summit Entertainment revealed that "New Moon" broke its own sales record when it debuted this Saturday and Sunday on DVD. The four million units bested "Twilight's" 3.8 million last year. That's particularly impressive considering the continuing decline of the home entertainment market overall. "Twilight" sold 9.2 million DVDs in 2009 making it the biggest seller of the year. "New Moon," on the other hand, could easily pass that figure, but has James Cameron's "Avatar" on the horizon to watch out for in the race for the 2010 title.
Hitting DVD and Blu-ray on April 22, it's pretty obvious that James Cameron's blockbuster has an excellent chance of surpassing "New Moon" in home entertainment sales this year. And, to be honest, that is to be expected considering "Avatar's" current mega global gross of $2.668 billion. In the U.S., "Avatar" has made a record $737.2 million alone ("New Moon" grossed $707 million worldwide). The question is whether "Avatar" fans will go out and buy the 2-D version available next month or wait until later in the year (or possibly 2011) to buy a 3-D DVD version.
While an "Avatar" sequel is still in the discussion phase, "Twilight" fans won't have long to wait to get their Bella and Edward fix. "The Twilight Saga: Eclipse" opens nationwide on June 30.
News From Our Partners
- Listen to Selena Gomez's 'Come & Get It' Remixes Katy Perry vs. Rita Ora vs. Beyonce vs. Kesha vs. Demi Lovato – Who Wore It Best? Chris Brown Launches New 'Channel' Website, Gets More Personal Than Ever
- 'Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon II': The Oscar-Winning Movie is Getting a Sequel 'The Bling Ring' Cannes Premiere: Emma Watson Steals the Show (PHOTOS) Why Brad Bird Turned Down 'Star Wars: Episode VII'; Talks 'Incredibles' Sequel
- 'Pacific Rim' Trailer Surfaces: Watch Now! 'Star Trek Into Darkness': The Reviews Are In! Emma Watson In 'The Bling Ring': The Early Reviews Are In!
- What to Watch Tonight: The Office's Big Farewell and the Season Finales of TVD, Elementary, and Five More Supernatural Season 8 Finale Review: It's Raining Angels Watch an Extended Trailer for CBS's Under the Dome (VIDEO)
- Ilana Rapp: Actor Richard Harmon From Bates Motel and Continuum Talks about SpongeBob Squarepants and Yoga 'The Last Classic TV Comedy'? 'Biggest Loser' Host: 'I've Never Seen Jillian Eat A Cupcake'
- The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When The Telefile - TNT & TBS Upfront 2013: Reaping What Other Networks Sowed
- Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day One: Sofia Coppola offers the first misfire of the festival Hear This: A song with a long title succinctly encapsulates ’90s power-pop Watch This: Laura Palmer lives—however briefly—in Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me
- 'Zombieland' TV Series: Amazon Passes on the Pilot 'How I Met Your Mother' Final Season Spoilers: Producers Explain Time-Turning Format Change 'The Hangover Part 3′ Red-Band NSFW Trailer: It's Time to End the Trilogy