NBC returns to 'ALF' territory with new puppet comedy 'The New Nabors'
Project developed by the Jim Henson Co.
It appears "Muppets" fever has successfully spread to the small-screen as well, with reports that NBC has bought a single-camera comedy series from the Jim Henson Company entitled "The New Nabors". The story reportedly centers on a human family living next door to a family of puppets.
The script for the new series will be written by John Hoffman and "30 Rock" executive-producer John Riggi, with Jim Henson's daughter Lisa Henson (the CEO of the company) executive-producing alongside them, according to Deadline.
I'm sure it's no accident that this news was timed to the release of "The Muppets", which opens on Wednesday and has been heavily-hyped for months now. The only question is whether this sort of thing would play well to modern-day TV audiences on a weekly basis, though I'm assuming that if this happens the show will prove to be substantially more hip than "ALF" ever was.
What do you think of this news? Is a puppet TV series something you'd like to see, or are you all Muppet-ed out already? Let your opinions fly in the comments!
News From Our Partners
- Box Office: 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Misses $100M Domestic Mark on Opening Weekend Beyonce Pregnant Again? Sources Confirm 'Epic' Star Is Carrying Baby No. 2 'Hangover 3' Red Band Trailer: Take a Walk Down a NSFW Memory Lane (VIDEO)
- Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Four: The Coen brothers return to the festival with a folk-rock flashback Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Three: Cheers for the young stars of The Selfish Giant, jeers for the new films by Hirokazu Kore-eda and Arnaud Desplechin Watch This: With Beavis And Butt-head Do America, Mike Judge skewered the idiocy of cinematic adventures
- FTW vs. WTF: The TV Week in Review (May 19) Doctor Who "The Name of the Doctor" Review: The Impossible Girl Made Possible What to Watch This Weekend: The Season Finales of Nikita, Doctor Who, The Simpsons, and Family Guy
- Carly Rae Jepsen's 'Call Me Maybe' Captures Top Digital Song Honor at 2013 Billboard Music Awards Macklemore + Ryan Lewis Win Best Rap Song for 'Thrift Shop' at 2013 Billboard Music Awards 2013 Billboard Music Awards Gets a Tour From Taylor Swift's '22′ Performance [Video]
- 'Doctor Who' Season 8 Confirmed, Steven Moffat to Return The Wrap Up: Behind-the-Scenes Image from 'Godzilla' Shows a Train in Peril Batman: Arkham Origins Will See the Return of Kevin Conroy
- A Final 'Office' Farewell Stefon Marries Anderson Cooper In Final Show Creed Bratton: Closing Creed Thoughts
- Box Office Guru Wrapup: Star Trek Softer Than Expected at #1 Weekly Ketchup: Will Smith to Star in Wild Bunch Remake? Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When