Movie Power Rankings: 'Twilight' and 'Hunger Games' fight a friendly battle for No. 1
Where do 'Dark Knight Rises,' 'Spider-Man' and 'Snow White' end up?
In a textbook case of synergy, "The Twilight Saga" and "The Hunger Games" are working hand-in-hand to get the attention of moviegoers. With the recent merger of their respective studios, Summit and Lionsgate, it makes perfect sense that the trailer for "The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn Part II" will premiere with the March theatrical release of "Games." Whether you're Team Jacob or Team Edward, the love triangle hinted at in the fantasy adventure film "Games" (the first of a trilogy) should tide you over until the big event in November. Time will tell, however, if the new kid on the block will become as endlessly popular as "Twilight."
As for the rest of this week's list…
February 15, 2012
1. "The Hunger Games" (Last week: No. 6)
As if fans of Suzanne Collins' book series needed another reason to go see it.
Not only are they benefitting from "Hunger Games" fanatics, but the "Twilight" crew are breaking their own DVD records as well.
3. "The Amazing Spider-Man" (Last week: No. 1)
4. "Transformers 4" (Last week: Not ranked)
Yep, they're making it. Yep, Michael Bay is directing it.
- Check out everything there is including photos, reviews, videos.
Another one? This time expectations are high, due to the teaming of "Harry Potter" starlet Emma Watson and "Hellboy" director Guillermo del Toro.
7. "Tintin 2" (Last week: Not ranked)
More confirmation that Bane will be a big 12-car pile-up of badassness (badassity?). Good luck, Batman.
Some new images make this look more and more like the "Snow White" to beat.
With performers like Tom Hanks, Halle Berry, Hugo Weaving and Hugh Grant playing multiple roles and gender/race-swapping, The Wachowski's collaboration with Tom Tykwer is sounding just plain crazy. Can't wait.
12. "Fast Six" (Last week: Not ranked)
The Rock has spoken. Dwayne Johnson says the next two "Fast and Furious" films won't shoot back-to-back after all, although part six is gearing up for a summer shoot. All hail The Rock!
13. "After Earth" (Last week: Not ranked)
M. Night Shyamalan and The Smiths (Will and Jaden, that is) have revealed an early look at their upcoming sci-fi drama.
14. "John Carter" (Last week: Not ranked)
Is there hope for Disney's bloated sci-fi epic? Some of it is starting to look pretty cool.
15. "Ted" (Last week: Not ranked)
"Family Guy" parent Seth McFarlane's live-action debut might be getting its first big push at a SXSW panel. Giggity.
Movie Power Rankings appears weekly on HitFix. See the previous installment's rankings here.
What do you think of this week's rankings? Share your thoughts below.
Trending Now on HitFix Boards
News From Our Partners
- Crosstalk: A fan and a newbie catch up on the first season of The Venture Bros. AVQ&A: What are your favorite and least favorite cultural baits and switches? Podmass: The Dice Man infiltrates podcasting, Casey Wilson chokes up on The JV Club, and Kumail vs. Maron
- The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When The Telefile - TNT & TBS Upfront 2013: Reaping What Other Networks Sowed
- Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Roundup: Star Trek Into Darkness Edition Video Interviews with Katie Aselton & Lake Bell of Black Rock
- Mariah Carey Medleys, Jennifer Lopez Lives It Up With Pitbull on 'American Idol' Finale [Videos] Candice Glover Wins 'American Idol' Season 12 Beyonce Gets Emotional Onstage in Belgium [Video]
- 'Pacific Rim' Trailer Surfaces: Watch Now! 'Star Trek Into Darkness': The Reviews Are In! Emma Watson In 'The Bling Ring': The Early Reviews Are In!
- Who Won 'American Idol' 2013? 'The Office' Finale: Michael Scott's Surprise Appearance And Your New 'American Idol' Is ...
- What to Watch This Weekend: The Season Finales of Nikita, Doctor Who, The Simpsons, and Family Guy What to Watch Tonight: The Office's Big Farewell and the Season Finales of TVD, Elementary, and Five More Supernatural Season 8 Finale Review: It's Raining Angels
- 'The Office' Series Finale Review: "Finale" 'Anger Management' Review: "Charlie and the Break-Up Coach" 'Hannibal' Review: "Fromage"