Movie Power Rankings: 'The Avengers' stays at No. 1
Where do 'Dark Knight Rises,' 'Kick-Ass 2' and 'Gangster Squad' end up?
"The Avengers" has been the movie to beat on our Movie Power Rankings for four weeks in a row now, and is it any surprise? The Joss Whedon-directed Marvel epic has surpassed even the wildest expectations, grossing $1 billion worldwide in just 19 days. Naturally, a sequel is already in the works, but we won't see it until after "Iron Man 3," "Thor 2" and "Captain America 2." That's a lot of Avengers, and there is surely a lot more to come. It's a great time to be a Marvel fan, but can "The Avengers" stay on top forever?
Watch the video from Crackle here:
As for the rest of this week's list...
May 18, 2012
1. The Avengers" (Last week: No. 1)
There are a billion reasons why the Marvel movie is still on top after four weeks. A few years from now, the already-announced "Avengers 2" will likely be there as well.
- Check out everything there is including photos, reviews, videos.
We've now seen enough clips to know what to expect of the fairy tale epic starring Kristen Stewart ("Twilight"), Charlize Theron ("Prometheus") and Chris Hemsworth ("The Avengers"), and the action looks great.
3. "Django Unchained" (Last week: Not ranked)
Due to various scheduling conflicts, two big names have dropped out of Quentin Tarantino's upcoming western. Both Kurt Russell and Sacha Baron Cohen are out of the mix. Don't worry -- you'll still see Leonardo DiCaprio, Jamie Foxx, Kerry Washington, Christoph Waltz, Samuel L. Jackson and many others.
4. "The Dark Knight Rises" (Last week: No. 2)
It's been a relatively quiet week for the Bat-film, but fans are atwitter about Marion Cotillard's claim that she's not playing a villain. Is this just one of Christopher Nolan's head games?
5. "Gangster Squad" (Last week: Not ranked)
Ryan Gosling, Sean Penn, Josh Brolin, Emma Stone, Anthony Mackie and Nick Nolte? Who's not in this movie? Watch the trailer here.
6. "Kick-Ass 2" (Last week: Not ranked)
Ready for more Hit Girl? Matthew Vaughn is to busy with the sequel to "X-Men: First Class," so he's handing over the reins to the largely untested Jeff Wadlow ("Never Back Down," "Cry Wolf").
7. "Fast Six" (Last week: No. 5)
Luke Evans ("The Raven," "Immortals") joins the all-star cast.
8. "The Campaign" (Last week: No. 6)
The first trailer for the Jay Roach comedy starring Will Ferrell and Zach Galifianakis will get you excited about politics again.
9. "Anchorman 2" (Last week: Not ranked)
More Will Ferrell, this time reprising his signature role as Ron Burgundy. A teaser is attached to "The Dictator." As for the film itself? It hasn't even started shooting.
10. "Gravity" (Last week: Not ranked)
The sci-fi epic from Alfonso Cuaron ("Children of Men") has been pushed back from November 2012 to sometime in 2013, reportedly to free up more 3D and IMAX screens. It stars George Clooney and Sandra Bullock. We want it now!
Watch the previous installment of Movie Power Rankings here.
What do you think of this week's rankings? Share your thoughts below.
Trending Now on HitFix Boards
|Topic||Started By||Latest Post||Replies|
2 months ago
4 months ago
|Discuss Movies General on HitFix Message Boards »|
News From Our Partners
- Is There Hope For Jaime & Brienne Shippers? PHOTOS: Inside Lucille Austero's New Apartment WATCH: Full-Length Trailers For 'The Millers,' 'Hostages' And 'Mom'
- 'Sons of Anarchy' Season 6 Adds 'The Shield's CCH Pounder As… David Boreanaz, Minka Kelly, Tom Felton and More Go 'Full Circle' for DirecTV Syfy's 'Helix': David Slade Directing 'Battlestar Galactica' Creator Ron Moore's New Series
- Less Jaywalking, More Web-friendly Clips: Dos and Don'ts for Seth Meyers' Late Night Career What to Watch Tonight: The Season Premiere of Rookie Blue and the Series Premieres of Save Me, Showville, and Does Someone Have to Go? Nashville Season Finale Review: Funerals, Proposals, Car Accidents, Oh My?
- 'Hangover III': The Reviews Are In! Jennifer Aniston Breaks Bad, Strips Down In 'We're The Millers' Trailer 'Star Wars' Fans Still Love To Hate Ewoks 30 Years Later
- Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Eight: Blue Is The Warmest Color captures a relationship’s rawness and beauty Hear This: Pantera’s “Walk” is the cry of aggrieved, disaffected youth Watch This: Vanishing Point caters to car nuts and existentialists alike
- The Telefile - Save Me: Lightning Strikes NBC The Telefile - Modern Family: Goodnight, Gracie. Hello, Series Highlight. The Telefile - Critics' Choice Television Awards 2013: Nominees Announced
- Critics Consensus: Fast & Furious 6 is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Photos with Vin Diesel, Michelle Rodriguez, Gina Carano and More Video: The Hangover Part III Cast Interviews
- Quicksilver in 'X-Men: Days of Future Past': Evan Peters Cast as Magneto's Son 'Poltergeist' Reboot May Actually Be a Sequel Brad Pitt Shocks Fans at 'World War Z' Screening (VIDEO)