Movie power rankings: 'The Avengers' fight their way back to No. 1
Where do 'The Hunger Games,' 'Rock of Ages' and 'Man of Steel' end up?
By the time "Hunger Games" finally cools off at the box office, it will be just in time for the next big blockbuster -- Marvel's superhero mega-buffet "The Avengers" flies into theaters May 4. In our recent behind-the-scenes coverage, it's clear that the film's grand ambition (spearheaded by director Joss Whedon) will be matched by its big budget, its acclaimed cast, and most importantly, its devotion to beloved characters such as Iron Man (Robert Downey Jr.), Thor (Chris Hemsworth), Captain America (Chris Evans), Black Widow (Scarlett Johansson) and Nick Fury (Samuel L. Jackson). Signs are all pointing to "The Avengers" being the feather in Marvel Studios' cap -- and they still have plenty of other films in the pipeline.
As for the rest of this week's list…
April 4, 2012
1. "The Avengers" (Last week: No. 4)
"We're not a team...we're a time bomb!" Even Soundgarden's excited for this movie.
2. "The Hunger Games" (Last week: No. 1)
The franchise debut carved up over $250 in just ten days. Wait, make that $250 MILLION.
3. "The Dark Knight Rises" (Last Week: No. 2)
It's official: He's baaaaack. And Batman's gonna be neck-deep in villains again.
4. "Captain America 2" (Last week: Not ranked)
- Check out everything there is including photos, reviews, videos.
5. "Man of Steel" (Last week: Not ranked)
A new banner makes it look like Zach Snyder and Christopher Nolan's Superman reboot will be a combination of something old and something new.
6. "Dark Shadows" (Last week: Not ranked)
Get a better look at the Tim Burton film's crazy, colorful cast of characters in these new banners.
7. "Rock of Ages" (Last week: Not ranked)
We finally get to hear Tom Cruise sing (if Bon Jovi counts) in the musical's new trailer.
8. "The Amazing Spider-Man" (Last week: Not ranked)
Three new mini-clips give us a peek at Andrew Garfield's performance as the ol' webhead.
9. "Triplets" (Last week: Not ranked)
Arnold. DeVito. Eddie Murphy. Yikes.
10. "Prometheus" (Last week: not ranked)
More new photos of that great (and great looking) cast, including Michael Fassbender, Charlize Theron, Idris Elba and Noomi Rapace.
11. "To Rome With love" (Last week: Not ranked)
Woody Allen's offering for this year takes place in a fancy European locale, and the new trailer shows off the all-star cast, including Woody himself, Jesse Eisenberg, Ellen Page and the wow-worthy Penelope Cruz.
12. "Titanic" (Last week: Not ranked)
Now that all those squealing teenagers from 1997 are in their 20s and 30s, will they still line up to see it over and over and over again?
13. "Bully" (Last week: Not ranked)
The ripped-from-the-headlines doc seems to be at the center of a new debate, and may be inspiring real-life changes.
14. "The Woman in Black 2" (Last week: Not ranked)
The spooky film starring Daniel "Harry Potter" Radcliffe is being eyed for a sequel. Maybe he'll be doing the haunting this time around?
15. "Ted" (Last week: Not ranked)
Mark Wahlberg and a foul-mouthed teddy bear. Your dreams/nightmares have come true.
What do you think of this week's rankings? Share your thoughts below.
Trending Now on HitFix Boards
|Topic||Started By||Latest Post||Replies|
2 months ago
4 months ago
|Discuss Movies General on HitFix Message Boards »|
News From Our Partners
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When
- FTW vs. WTF: The TV Week in Review (May 19) Doctor Who "The Name of the Doctor" Review: The Impossible Girl Made Possible What to Watch This Weekend: The Season Finales of Nikita, Doctor Who, The Simpsons, and Family Guy
- Guilty Gear Xrd -SIGN- Announcement Trailer is Full of Swords and Ponytails SNL: Ben Affleck Joins the "Fiver Timers Club" and Explains His Oscar Speech SNL: Iran Responds to 'Argo' With a Film of Its Own
- Weekly Ketchup: Will Smith to Star in Wild Bunch Remake? Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Roundup: Star Trek Into Darkness Edition
- Kanye West Debuts 'Black Skinhead' Kanye Storms 'SNL' The 'Doctors' Unite
- Watch 2PM Give Each Other Hugs, Spankings + Piggyback Rides at '2PM Is Back With Genie' Concert [Video] Would Adam Lambert Judge 'American Idol?' [Video] Chris Brown Receiving Death Threats
- Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Three: Cheers for the young stars of The Selfish Giant, jeers for the new films by Hirokazu Kore-eda and Arnaud Desplechin Hear This: Destroy This Place shows how press releases can get it right Watch This: With Beavis And Butt-head Do America, Mike Judge skewered the idiocy of cinematic adventures
- Box Office: 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Misses $100M Domestic Mark on Opening Weekend Beyonce Pregnant Again? Sources Confirm 'Epic' Star Is Carrying Baby No. 2 'Hangover 3' Red Band Trailer: Take a Walk Down a NSFW Memory Lane (VIDEO)