Movie power rankings: Much talked-about trailer puts 'Spider-Man' on top
Where do 'Bourne Legacy,' 'Hunger Games' and 'Dark Knight Rises' end up?
Back when Sony announced the news of the forthcoming "Spider-Man" reboot with an all-new cast and crew, it was hard to not expect a disappointment, and even the most dedicated True Believers did a double-take. Sam Raimi, Tobey Maguire and co. seemed to nail the Marvel icon in the first two films (just shut up about "Spider-Man 3" already -- if we all pretend it's not there, it'll just disappear). But the new trailer for this summer's "Amazing Spider-Man" is a big leap in the right direction, seemingly capturing the high-flying fun and serio-comic tone of the character. And the action looks pretty swell too. Meanwhile, the film's director Marc Webb ("500 Days of Summer"), stars Andrew Garfield, Emma Stone and Rhys Ifans and others have been spreading the word around the globe about the webslinger's latest adventure. We'll have to wait and see how audiences respond.
As for the rest of this week's list…
February 9, 2012
1. "The Amazing Spider-Man" (Last week: Not ranked)
The all-new Spidey swings into action soon. Who's excited?
2. "The Avengers" (Last week: No. 2)
Who won the Super Bowl? The Avengers did, that's who. 'nuff said.
3. "The Bourne Legacy" (Last week: Not ranked)
If you don't think the new trailer is awesome, Jeremy Renner's gonna punch you in the face.
4. "The Wolverine" (Last week: Not ranked)
For better or for worse, Logan's next adventure is finally headed to the big screen, Bub.
- Check out everything there is including photos, reviews, videos.
5. "The Dark Knight Rises" (Last week: No. 4)
When there's no new news, the speculation increases.
6. "The Hunger Games" (Last week: No. 12)
Taylor Swift is also a fan, as her upcoming video will attest.
7. "Machete 2" (Last week: not ranked)
Quieren Mas "Machete"? Danny Trejo and Robert Rodriguez are ready for more mayhem in Mexico.
8. "Blade Runner 2" (Last week: Not ranked)
Harrison Ford will be in it. Harrison Ford won't be in it. Does it matter? Entertainment news existentialism at its best. Also, let's hope this isn't called "Blade Runner 2."
9. "Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn" (Last week: Not ranked)
A peek at the upcoming DVD reminds us that it's only a movie.
10. "Man of Steel" (Last week: Not ranked)
Co-star Michael Shannon thinks Zack Snyder is the new Scorsese, and that the Superman film will be edgy, like Nolan's "Batman" trilogy. Hey, don't shoot the messenger.
11. "GI Joe: Retaliation" (Last week: No. 5)
Another summer blockbuster that got a big boost from a swell Super Bowl ad. Bazooka and The Fridge even played for the Patriots for few minutes.
12. "2 Guns" (Last week: Not ranked)
Denzel vs. Mark Wahlberg? Yeah, I'll take two tickets in row C, and a large Coke.
13. "Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter" (Last week: Not ranked)
No idea what this cryptically titled film is about. These new photos don't help.
14. "The Tomb" (Last week: Not ranked)
Arnold joins Sly in another movie. They're starting to look like the new Tracy and Hepburn.
15. The "Star Wars" saga (Last week: Not ranked)
The 3D re-release of "The Phantom Menace" has plenty of fans, and it's just the first of six. How long before ol' Georgey changes his mind again and greenlights episodes 7-9?
Movie Power Rankings appears weekly on HitFix. See the previous installment's rankings here.
What do you think of this week's rankings? Share your thoughts below.
Trending Now on HitFix Boards
|Topic||Started By||Latest Post||Replies|
2 months ago
4 months ago
|Discuss Movies General on HitFix Message Boards »|
News From Our Partners
- How Far Will 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Boldly Go At Box Office? 'Star Trek Into Darkness': The Secret Behind The Mystery Villain 'Pacific Rim' Trailer Surfaces: Watch Now!
- Hear This: Destroy This Place shows how press releases can get it right Watch This: With Beavis And Butt-head Do America, Mike Judge skewered the idiocy of cinematic adventures Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Two: Iranian director Asghar Farhadi chases A Separation with another stunning drama
- Weekly Ketchup: Will Smith to Star in Wild Bunch Remake? Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Roundup: Star Trek Into Darkness Edition
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When
- Pop Bytes: Michael Jackson's Nephew Negates Wade Robson's Molestation Claims + More Watch Macklemore, Kendrick Lamar, Ellie Goulding + More on Hangout Festival Livestream Dumb Celebrity Quotes – Who Said This?
- 'Da Vinci's Demons' Review: "The Devil" 'Assassin's Creed' Movie Slated For Memorial Day 2015 Amazon Picks Up John Goodman's 'Alpha House,' Computer Comedy 'Betas'
- What to Watch This Weekend: The Season Finales of Nikita, Doctor Who, The Simpsons, and Family Guy The Office Series Finale Review: That'll Do, Show. That'll Do. Syfy Renews Warehouse 13 for a Fifth and Final Season
- Beyonce Pregnant Again? Sources Confirm 'Epic' Star Is Carrying Baby No. 2 'Hangover 3' Red Band Trailer: Take a Walk Down a NSFW Memory Lane (VIDEO) Why 'Man of Steel' Didn't Use 'Superman' in the Title